Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Google Maps questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Maps questions

Hi, I tried to look around but can't find a satisfying answer anywhere.

With Audi Connect subscription, I was wondering how the Google Maps functionality and navigation actually work, and if it's basically like using google maps on your phone. That sounds too good to be true...

- Is the map pretty much always up-to date, just like Google Maps on your phone / computer?
- Does it use google algorithms in real time for route guidance and traffic data? I don't believe that's the case, I saw somewhere that it's powered by Inrix XD, which is probably inferior to Google.

I'm in the US by the way.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi doesn't use Google Maps, it's just a Google Earth overlay so after the 6 months you still have navigation. If you want to keep the overlay you have to pay the overpriced subscription.

Last edited by Strife1013; 09-08-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze Henryson
Audi doesn't use Google Maps, it's just an overlay so after the 6 months you still have navigation.

Picture Google's satellite view on top of the standard navigation.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I just called Audi of America customer relations who forwarded me to an Audi Connect rep and he just confirmed that whether you get the $199 6-month Connect PRIME plan or the $750 30-month Connect PRIME plan, you only get 6gb total WiFi hotspot data for "free". If you need more, then you need to purchase one of the monthly WiFi hotspot data plans ranging from $10-40/month, or you can purchase a lump sum of data: $99 for 10gb total to supplement the 6-month Connect PRIME plan, or $399 for 45gb total to supplement the 30-month Connect PRIME plan.

The 6gb of "free" WiFi hotspot data included in either the 6-month or 30-month Connect PRIME plans is 6gb TOTAL, NOT 6gb per month.

The Audi Connect PRIME services (Google Earth, Google voice search, myAudi destinations, OTA map updates, Infix traffic and dynamic route guidance, Internet radio, Audi music stream, fuel prices, parking info, travel info, twitter, geofencing, valet alert, remote lock/unlock, vehicle status reports) is unlimited data and does not use any of the your WiFi hotspot data.

During the 6-month trial period, the WiFi hotspot data is UNLIMITED. But there are no unlimited WiFi hotspot data plans available after the trial period even if you are willing to pay for it.

So if you wanted to max out your Audi Connect services and WiFi hotspot after the trial period expires, you will be paying $1149 ($750 + $399) for 30 months of Audi Connect PRIME and 51gb of WiFi hotspot data, which comes out to 1.67gb/month of Wifi hotspot data for what comes out $13.30/month, not counting the $750 surcharge for the base Connect PRIME plan.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^ 6 GB total? Pass.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

If you already use AT&T you can just add it to your plan for $10 month. It uses the same data pool as your phones.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Blaze Henryson
Audi doesn't use Google Maps, it's just a Google Earth overlay so after the 6 months you still have navigation. If you want to keep the overlay you have to pay the overpriced subscription.
Ugh... That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll be back to using my phone for navigation, as I find google route algorithms and traffic data vastly superior to all other options.

I never tried Inrix, which is the navigation provider in Audi Connect (apparently they also power Tesla and BMW nav systems, plus offer iphone and android apps), but doubt it's better than google maps...
Old 09-08-2016, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarecki
Ugh... That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll be back to using my phone for navigation, as I find google route algorithms and traffic data vastly superior to all other options.

I never tried Inrix, which is the navigation provider in Audi Connect (apparently they also power Tesla and BMW nav systems, plus offer iphone and android apps), but doubt it's better than google maps...
INRIX is actually very good and I would argue superior to Google traffic, because INRIX crowd-sources traffic data from the GPS tracking equipment on trucks as well as every cell phone on the road via data they receive from the mobile carriers, in addition to the cars themselves that use INRIX and people that run the INRIX app on their phones. Google only gets crowd-sourced data from Android phones and iPhones that run the Google apps. YMMV in your particular area, for example I find even SiriusXM traffic very accurate in my area and often better than Google or Waze. Waze got me stuck in terrible city traffic a few weeks ago, while the MMI insisted I get back on the highway. I made the mistake to listen to Waze instead of the MMI. I won't make that mistake again.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-08-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
INRIX is actually very good and I would argue superior to Google traffic, because INRIX crowd-sources traffic data from the GPS tracking equipment on trucks as well as every cell phone on the road via data they receive from the mobile carriers. Google only gets crowd-sourced data from Android phones and iPhones that run the Google apps. YMMV in your particular area, for example I find even SiriusXM traffic very accurate in my area and often better than Google or Waze. Waze got me stuck in terrible city traffic a few weeks ago, while the MMI insisted I get back on the highway. I made the mistake to listen to Waze instead of the MMI. I won't make that mistake again.
I will have to agree with superswiss also regarding Inrix vs Google/Waze. I live and work in a big city (Chicago) with lots of traffic. Very bad traffic. I deal with traffic on a daily basis, and often rely on these services to get me across town during rush hours.

From my experience using both the Q7's MMI (Inrix) versus the google maps and waze apps on my iPhone, I've often found the Audi's MMI to be far more accurate in detailing heavy traffic patterns on most major roads and highways. I still like using Waze because it warns me of speed cameras, police traps, potholes, and hazards, but overall I've found the MMI to be more reliable in conveying the true current traffic patterns in my immediate vicinity.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, great color in the last two posts. I wasn't aware of Inrix before, but looks interesting upon some research I have done. This feedback helps.

I guess I'll stay open minded and give it a try when my Q7 arrives in a few months.

Quick Reply: Google Maps questions