Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Google Maps questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
I will have to agree with superswiss also regarding Inrix vs Google/Waze. I live and work in a big city (Chicago) with lots of traffic. Very bad traffic. I deal with traffic on a daily basis, and often rely on these services to get me across town during rush hours.

From my experience using both the Q7's MMI (Inrix) versus the google maps and waze apps on my iPhone, I've often found the Audi's MMI to be far more accurate in detailing heavy traffic patterns on most major roads and highways. I still like using Waze because it warns me of speed cameras, police traps, potholes, and hazards, but overall I've found the MMI to be more reliable in conveying the true current traffic patterns in my immediate vicinity.
I run the MMI Nav and Waze in parallel most of the time. I find Waze's initial routing options much better. However, it seems to be 50/50 which one will see a traffic tie up first and ask to reroute me. My game plan is to go with whichever tries to reroute me first, and that's been pretty successful.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
If you already use AT&T you can just add it to your plan for $10 month. It uses the same data pool as your phones.
I pretty sure with the 2017 Q7, A4 and other new models this is not possible. I'm not certain if an AT&T share plan can be used for the wifi data but in order to receive all of the aforementioned Audi Connect features, there is no alternative to purchasing an AC Prime plan.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to be clear. You can still plug your phone in and run Google Maps via Android Auto or Apple Car via your phone's data. It'll load up on the screen just the same, it just doesn't show up on the virtual cockpit. So you don't NEED Audi Connect. For the RSE's data, you can just hotspot your phone.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Beeg
Just to be clear. You can still plug your phone in and run Google Maps via Android Auto or Apple Car via your phone's data. It'll load up on the screen just the same, it just doesn't show up on the virtual cockpit. So you don't NEED Audi Connect. For the RSE's data, you can just hotspot your phone.
Google Maps does not work with Apple CarPlay. You can only use Apple maps with Apple CarPlay.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I pretty sure with the 2017 Q7, A4 and other new models this is not possible. I'm not certain if an AT&T share plan can be used for the wifi data but in order to receive all of the aforementioned Audi Connect features, there is no alternative to purchasing an AC Prime plan.
The Wifi hotspot can indeed be added to one's existing AT&T shared data plan for $10/months, but you are correct, in order to use the Audi Connect features you still need a PRIME subscription.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larryV

The Audi Connect PRIME services (Google Earth, Google voice search, myAudi destinations, OTA map updates, Infix traffic and dynamic route guidance, Internet radio, Audi music stream, fuel prices, parking info, travel info, twitter, geofencing, valet alert, remote lock/unlock, vehicle status reports) is unlimited data and does not use any of the your WiFi hotspot data.
After paying to renew my Connect services (after being told I would receive a credit because of the previous connect problems), in less than a month I received an email stating I had used 80% of my data, I couldn't figure out how this is possible as I don't regularly use the WiFi hotspot in my car and my in car data usage counter shows nothing even close to that amount of usage. I had multiple phone conversations and emails with reps stating that the car's usage DOES count towards your monthly "free" data usage. I am so confused by this and feel ripped off. Going to do a chargeback on them, I even have emails where the marketing guy says that the advertising is incorrect.

I love this car but I am about to get rid of it. Anyone in the market? haha