Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

HD Matrix-design Headlight vs Standard Matrix-design

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Matrix-design Headlight vs Standard Matrix-design

I am about to order a 2021 Q7 Prestige Navarro Blue (4 Wheel Steering, Night Vision Assist, Laser Light, Tow). I am new to Audi but I must complain that the amount of product information I can find from them is dismal. I cannot even find a 2020 Q7 brochure online (Is there one?). The entire industry has created a confusion on what Driver Assistance Products you are getting through name jumbles and forget about even trying to figure out their actual capability for comparison. Even Audi gives you a couple of sentences about its various driver assists – and even that is a jumble because they may not even function the same across all vehicles that have the particular product. I resorted to down loading a 2020 owner’s manual to try and figure out some of this. OK kvetching over – well almost.

My question to the group – I have the 2021 Q7 55 TFSI order guide (with prices) and am going through it - I am going to order (maybe) the HD Matrix-design LED headlights w/ Audi Laser light PXB $1,650.

1. Is this the Matrix Headlight setup (PXB) that will be activated by the Dealer once the NHTSA gets it acts together on headlights – which currently this setup basically does nothing except a dance – to provide full adaptive driving beams with laser light beam?

2. The Prestige comes standard with “Matrix-Design LED Headlights” PXC– is this the same matrix headlight listed (above) in PXB – just without the Laser Light addition? And would it also be capable of being activated by the Dealer to provide full adaptive driving beam (once the regulation is changed?) I noticed the missing “HD” from the description.

I have looked all over for information on the lights and see no mention, no literature of future capabilities of the headlights except the dancing light show, again frustrating the lack of information on Audi’s sites.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I blew $1,600 on laser lights on a 2020 which do nothing special in the US (at least currently). (not that I would have ordered them. the option was on a car on the dealers lot that otherwise was just what we wanted).
Old 01-27-2022, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you but checkout the replacement cost of Laser Lights. Its around $9800 without taxes and labour.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal Matrix lights use reflectors to for high beams while HD matrix uses lens and as far as I know HD matrix has more LED diodes which can light up more zones. Another difference is lock/unlock animation which is not present on normal matrix lights
Old 02-07-2022, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ordered a 2022 Q7 Prestige for my wife back in early November.
We just got an "order acceptance" email with rough timelines for production and shipment (JULY?!?)
Interestingly, they are deleting the HD matrix headlights which results in a $1,200 credit. Wonder if this is related to the chip shortage?
Old 02-07-2022, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwdrew
We ordered a 2022 Q7 Prestige for my wife back in early November.
We just got an "order acceptance" email with rough timelines for production and shipment (JULY?!?)
Interestingly, they are deleting the HD matrix headlights which results in a $1,200 credit. Wonder if this is related to the chip shortage?
Yes! I am in a similar boat, so far the dealer is stating that I should get Matrix lights, along with Laser (as part of my order). My build week is 14.
The following users liked this post:
bmwdrew (02-07-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

@Dave_ One thing the laser lights allow you to do is make the light more blue should you want to... There are ways to activate the matrix as well but it requires access to an ODIS computer and most (any sane) dealer isn't going to be willing to do the modification at this point. For now we are at the mercy of the food and drug administration to approve matrix lights... so no holding breath here.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboale
@Dave_ One thing the laser lights allow you to do is make the light more blue should you want to... There are ways to activate the matrix as well but it requires access to an ODIS computer and most (any sane) dealer isn't going to be willing to do the modification at this point. For now we are at the mercy of the food and drug administration to approve matrix lights... so no holding breath here.
FDA?
They will be legal within 2 years. Source

The following users liked this post:
Turboale (02-16-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Audi robbed all of us 2020-2021 Q7 purchasers $1600 that had them installed but could not be activated in the USA......... for shame.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 165 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by willbm3
FDA?
They will be legal within 2 years. Source
Got it mixed up... Fda had to approve the lasers not the matrix. Good to hear they will be coming. Not sure how I feel about it coming in an infrastructure bill, but I guess this is how our... country functions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...usive-edition/

Quick Reply: HD Matrix-design Headlight vs Standard Matrix-design