Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Homelink button II loses program

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Homelink button II loses program

So first off I’ve programmed many homelink buttons before on multiple vehicles so I’m sure I’m programming correctly. The fact that all buttons work for quite some time is an indictator as well.

Have had our Q7 for about 3 weeks.

Button I is our left side garage.
Button II is our right side garage.
Button III is my in laws garage.

Button II has randomly stopped working twice now. I’m sure it’s not working to the point that I just reprogram it. So now I’ve programmed it 3 times. Buttons I and III have been fine thus far.

Many ideas as to what is going on?

We use Button II the most as that is where we park the Q7. I know the buttons only work when the ignition is on.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry I don't have an answer, but vaguely remember a few other people having similar issues months ago. Search extensively and see if you can find the thread, though I don't remember if there was a resolution. In the meantime, as crummy as it is, I would switch your left and ride side of the garage programming - if you park on the right most of the time, make that Button I, hoping that it holds the programming better. I know it's nice to have the button position mirror the garage door position, but just think of it as Button I being the most commonly used instead. That way if Button II fails, at least you have I to open you garage, and save III for your in-laws.
FWIW, I have my button II programmed for my parents garage and it's never needed to be reprogrammed in over a year. So it CAN work, but you are not the first to report a similar problem.

Also, would help to add the year/trim of your Q7, at least in your text but you can add it to your info as well....just in case it's a car vintage issue.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't know if there are others, but here's one:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2941017/page3/

Maybe a faulty unit that can be replaced based on second-to-last post, but no follow-up...
Old 02-18-2019, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Sorry I don't have an answer, but vaguely remember a few other people having similar issues months ago. Search extensively and see if you can find the thread, though I don't remember if there was a resolution. In the meantime, as crummy as it is, I would switch your left and ride side of the garage programming - if you park on the right most of the time, make that Button I, hoping that it holds the programming better. I know it's nice to have the button position mirror the garage door position, but just think of it as Button I being the most commonly used instead. That way if Button II fails, at least you have I to open you garage, and save III for your in-laws.
FWIW, I have my button II programmed for my parents garage and it's never needed to be reprogrammed in over a year. So it CAN work, but you are not the first to report a similar problem.

Also, would help to add the year/trim of your Q7, at least in your text but you can add it to your info as well....just in case it's a car vintage issue.
2018 Q7 - Progressiv

I think I found the other thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-code-2941017/

Looks like I will need to take to the dealer. This happening is frankly unacceptable. Every other car we've had with homelink has gone without issue, with the exception of some frustrations with programming...

Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Don't know if there are others, but here's one:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2941017/page3/

Maybe a faulty unit that can be replaced based on second-to-last post, but no follow-up...
Oops saw this after my search.

Thank you.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did this last week. I reprogrammed it and it’s working again.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

We have the same issue with our 2017 Q7. Drives me crazy.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Noggy_Allrad
TSB out for this issue
Happen to know what TSB it is? I have a feeling the dealer will try to replicate and of course end up just wasting my time.