Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

How loaner cars work from Audi dealerships.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How loaner cars work from Audi dealerships.

So I’ve been using Audi Nashua (in NH) for a year or so now and overall have been really impressed. They offer free valet service where they drop off a loaner to your home or office and then bring your car back to you at home/office when it is ready. And they’ve always given me a relatively new Q7 as a loaner.

My latest loaner that I just had delivered this week is a 2023 Q7 Prestige fully loaded including adaptive chassis (sticker on it is $78k) and it arrived with 170 miles on the odometer. Matrix headlights were deleted (maybe chip shortage?) but other than that it has basically everything.

I learned something interesting which I didn’t know (and maybe folks on here already knew or maybe didn’t know) but VAG leases the loaners to the dealerships to make sure they have loaners that are brand new or at most 1-2 years old with relatively low mileage. Not sure if all Audi dealerships do it this way but I confirmed this dealership does it this way.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone didn’t already know this and found it interesting/useful.

The following users liked this post:
keg97 (01-17-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:04 AM
SVJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Must be one of those "Elite Audi Dealerships". I remember when I dropped off my Q7 for maintenance and minor repair at Audi Arlington (VA) a couple of years ago. They gave me as a loaner a brand new Honda CRV. 🤦🏼‍♂️ They did inquire beforehand whether I have had a loaner with them before. 🙄
Old 01-18-2023, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SVJ
Must be one of those "Elite Audi Dealerships". I remember when I dropped off my Q7 for maintenance and minor repair at Audi Arlington (VA) a couple of years ago. They gave me as a loaner a brand new Honda CRV. 🤦🏼‍♂️ They did inquire beforehand whether I have had a loaner with them before. 🙄
Wow. I guess YMMV. Interestingly, my dealership isn’t recognized as a Magna Society dealership.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think this entirely up to the human factor which amounts to what kind of loaners are available, and your social credit score with the dealer, lol
Old 01-18-2023, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

My Audi dealer has always given me a Q5 or an A sedan of some kind.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,206 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Zapper
So I’ve been using Audi Nashua (in NH) for a year or so now and overall have been really impressed. They offer free valet service where they drop off a loaner to your home or office and then bring your car back to you at home/office when it is ready. And they’ve always given me a relatively new Q7 as a loaner.

My latest loaner that I just had delivered this week is a 2023 Q7 Prestige fully loaded including adaptive chassis (sticker on it is $78k) and it arrived with 170 miles on the odometer. Matrix headlights were deleted (maybe chip shortage?) but other than that it has basically everything.

I learned something interesting which I didn’t know (and maybe folks on here already knew or maybe didn’t know) but VAG leases the loaners to the dealerships to make sure they have loaners that are brand new or at most 1-2 years old with relatively low mileage. Not sure if all Audi dealerships do it this way but I confirmed this dealership does it this way.

Just thought I’d share in case anyone didn’t already know this and found it interesting/useful.
Audi Nashua is one of the best in the business around here. prefer them over any other metro boston dealer. they have never done me wrong and have a massive loaner fleet. over 60 cars if i remember correctly. I should go in for my next oil change to try that car out. I think I have driven nearly every flavor of loaner Audi Nashua has, including an etron for 5 days. that was a blast.

they also provide ezpass in their cars for nothing. i always refuel the cars but have never had any issues with that either. the only thing they request is you don't take the car out of the country (Canada is most likely).

Originally Posted by SVJ
nope, just one that cares about their customers and one that understands how valuable loaner cars are to their clientele.

Originally Posted by Zapper
Wow. I guess YMMV. Interestingly, my dealership isn’t recognized as a Magna Society dealership.
it should be though...

Originally Posted by aenyc
I think this entirely up to the human factor which amounts to what kind of loaners are available, and your social credit score with the dealer, lol
not really. to be honest it is luck of the draw, combined with being one of the first people at the dealership to grab the cream of the crop. need to be there before 7am when they open. also helps to have a q7 and request a q7 if possible because they don't really feel the need to give someone a Q7 loaner if you come in to service your A3... enough said.

Originally Posted by BigKutta
My Audi dealer has always given me a Q5 or an A sedan of some kind.
I have gotten A5 sportbacks, q3, q5, etron, a6, and q7. they try to get loaners that are popular cars and ones they can resell. audi leases them to the dealers usually for around a year or up until around 15k miles. then the dealership has the ability to buy them out from Audi corporate and sell in their used inventory (usually CPO). it doesn't make sense for a dealer to lease loaner cars that are not hot sellers, because the loaner cars get people with older cars into the dealer to upgrade what they have, and also allow the dealers to sell great lightly used cars at good deals as well.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I just had the Differential fluid done aas well as the oil temp sensor fix. They gave me a lyft and said if I wanted a loaner, I'd have to wait until the end of March to schedule.
SVJ (01-20-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Generally, you have to make an appointment well in advance to secure a loaner. Especially since the pandemic as some dealerships have sold their loaners, because they didn't have anything else to sell. Then it comes down to what's available at the time. Loaners are generally of the volume seller variety, so my peeve as an RS owner was always that there were no RS loaners, so I was stuck with an A or Q something. Same now with owning an AMG. The loaners they have are the pedestrian models that are boring as heck. I've started to take advantage of the complementary Lyft vouchers they offer as I don't really need a car during the week, and driving some C or GLC 300 isn't fun. Back when I still had my RS, the alternative would have been their shuttle, so then I rather put up with a boring loaner.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-18-2023 at 12:37 PM.
BigBoy11 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 285 Likes on 205 Posts

I typically get an A4 or Q5 loaner. Once I was given an A8 for 3 days. On a few occasions when the loaner was unavailable as promised they gave me a nice used car from the pre-owned lot.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

It all depends on the dealership. I always get a Q5, once a Q3.

Quick Reply: How loaner cars work from Audi dealerships.