Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Insane Engine Repair Estimate - 2017 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane Engine Repair Estimate - 2017 Q7

Thought I'd post this if for no other reason than for others to have a laugh. My wife's 2017 Q7 got a drive error and started to shake. Granted she's been driving the heck out of the car and put 115k miles on it. So of course it's out of warranty. We took it to our trusted mechanic who said that cylinder 1 is shot and the engine will need to be rebuilt. My wife called Audi USA and they encouraged us to take it to the dealer. They said that sometimes Audi USA would be willing to help fix it. The dealer (Audi of Shrewsbury in MA) was basically rude about the entire process. They charged us $189 to "diagnose" and really wanted to charge us an extra $400 to keep diagnosing, to which we said no. Then, without any calls or explanations they sent us this repair estimate (see attachment). Since I've never seen a repair estimate be $33k in my life, thought I'd share it with this group. I thought it was a joke or a mistake, but then my wife called the dealer and they were all smug about not just the estimate, but the fact that Audi USA was going to do nothing about it. Note to self - no more buying Audis, never work with Audi of Shrewsbury or any McGovern owned dealerships, and don't keep a car past warranty. My only shoutout is to CarMax who bought the car with no questions asked and wrote us a check on the spot, so we still have faith that not all car companies are horrible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi Repair Estimate.pdf (150.1 KB, 191 views)
Old 02-05-2024, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

"Exhaust valve has chunk missing". Seems to be the 2nd or 3rd instance of valves failing recently on here.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

How in the world did Carmax agree to buy the car?
Old 02-05-2024, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dropshadow
How in the world did Carmax agree to buy the car?
Probably dumped some thick oil into it and cleared all the errors. Some poor soul will be stuck with it.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

Not gonna lie. Has me a bit nervous. Crossed 107k in my 2017 this weekend.

$37k is a big estimate. I would bet a local independent shop could get that done for MUCH less had you wanted to keep the car.

I'll also never understand that "I'm displeased I'm going to go tell everyone" attitude. I appreciate the heads up as an owner, it's an interesting data point, but ultimately if I have a situation like this; once I wash my hands of the BS, I'm done. Like, you'll likely just never see me again. I have more interesting things to do than come make a username on a message board just to tell everyone how pissed I am about the car I just sold. Seems really common though, guess it's just me?!?!
The following users liked this post:
CottonMcKnight (02-10-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I need to start buying these and swapping engines in for folks on here...
The following 2 users liked this post by n00bkiller944:
Camboscams (02-09-2024), CottonMcKnight (02-10-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Same exact thing happened to me last year at 120k after burning oil for a year or two. I replaced the exhaust valve myself and still need to get the engine back in.

it was a great vehicle up until then. Loved the handling and responsiveness. When they start burning oil sell them. I think a bad Pcv valve caused my issues. Thank you for posting a warning here. It is not a lie but gospel truth these engines are not very hardy. Gunar

Last edited by gbgastowers; 02-05-2024 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Interested to hear why you think bad PVC caused the issue? What did you find with the PCV when you dug in? Also - did you replace just the valve or do rings/ cylinder work as well? I imagine that chunk of valve did some damage to them ?
Old 02-05-2024, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The chunk of valve was just sparks (tiny pieces) when it was hot enough I think. I just bought a new valve and valve stem seal and new gaskets. Lapped the valve and the contact surface and it looked great. Another valve in the cylinder next to it was not seating fully (liquid in valve face area leaked down when tested) so I lapped that one too. Pistons showed no contact and smooth bores. The reason I thought the PCV (positive crank case ventilation) was bad was due to excessive oil consumption and a high vacuum in when I removed oil fill cap with engine running. I replaced the valve when engine was out.

Last edited by gbgastowers; 02-05-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 116 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
Not gonna lie. Has me a bit nervous. Crossed 107k in my 2017 this weekend.

$37k is a big estimate. I would bet a local independent shop could get that done for MUCH less had you wanted to keep the car.

I'll also never understand that "I'm displeased I'm going to go tell everyone" attitude. I appreciate the heads up as an owner, it's an interesting data point, but ultimately if I have a situation like this; once I wash my hands of the BS, I'm done. Like, you'll likely just never see me again. I have more interesting things to do than come make a username on a message board just to tell everyone how pissed I am about the car I just sold. Seems really common though, guess it's just me?!?!
Nope- I'm right with you.

I now know why CarMax's prices are always so high. They have to account for the cars that get dumped on them like this!

I also can't help but wonder if the dealership's "attitude" was in direct response to his approach to this. Granted, I'd be ticked about having a major issue like this. But I also know you're more apt to get flies with honey than....
The following users liked this post:
2kwik4u (02-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Insane Engine Repair Estimate - 2017 Q7