Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Just admiring the Q7 Headlights...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just admiring the Q7 Headlights...

I am just making a comment on how nice the 2018 LED headlights work...
1. I love how much light they push.. and how far out you can see
2. I just got done driving home IN FRONT of my Q7 (wife was driving it) . I called my wife to make sure that she had turned them on... there is no harsh glare for the cars in front of the Q7... it was almost like they were just the parking lights.

Audi has done a great job at aiming the lights so that they do their job.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I am surprised to hear someone liking the LEDs on Q7 so much. Perhaps in comparison to your other vehicles, it shines, but sadly it falls behind other vehicles in its class (in my opinion).
There were times in slow moving traffic when the light from headlights of vehicles behind me made the median or dividers brighter than my headlights, and they were mainly stock lights, non of those blinding mis-aligned xenon after markets.
The fog lights work very well on illuminating to immediate sides of the vehicle (on 2 lane road, I can clearly see the lights on both sides of the road) , but works poorly as actual fog lights. The pavement right in front is not bright enough as the purpose of fog light is to go under the fog and make the road more visible. I think Audi just trying to justify not placing them near bottom due to the sensors. They could have easily added e-tron style fogs down there.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too find the lighting on the Q7 very very lacking. I find that there is a spot directly center of the vehicle that is very poorly lit. I too also do not find the fog lights to work at all very well in the fog. (WTF) I didn’t think anything was worse than the lighting on my old Jeep JK, but this comes close. Have to say though other than that I do really like this vehicle. Has anyone here explored the possibility of supplemental lighting? Like maybe an LED bar in the center of the grill?
Old 04-22-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Europe we have the Matrix lights as an option. Very very happy with them..
Old 04-22-2018, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, the headlight can be admired when turned off, and just looking at the housing from the outside. Very nice design and sleek. Once on, these headlights are garbage for this class/price of SUV
Old 04-22-2018, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When you are just driving at night on a regular road at regular speed, I also have to say that the Q7 lights are nothing special. The LEDs on my Lincoln MKZ are actually a bit brighter.

HOWEVER, once I'm in my community at lower speeds and make turns, the cornering lights are excellent (my Lincoln only turns the lights slightly and can hardly be recognized compared to the Audi). Also excellent: The Q7 high beams.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only higher end vehicle that I can compare my Q7's headlights to are my 2012 GX460 and the Q7 headlights are much better at night than the GX's were. I have to say though that when I first bought my Q7 I wasn't that impressed and there was another thread around here talking about raising the headlights a bit, I raised mine and now I feel they are fantastic, especially the high beams. I'm very happy with them.

BTW I have the Prestige with LED's
Old 04-23-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I posted this in another thread, but I realize it's more suitable in this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post25142333
Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
When you are just driving at night on a regular road at regular speed, I also have to say that the Q7 lights are nothing special. The LEDs on my Lincoln MKZ are actually a bit brighter.

HOWEVER, once I'm in my community at lower speeds and make turns, the cornering lights are excellent (my Lincoln only turns the lights slightly and can hardly be recognized compared to the Audi). Also excellent: The Q7 high beams.
The auto high beam saved the Q7 with DAP from getting a poor from IIHS.

I honestly like my Q7 headlight output, but I think I dont have as much of references as others. I know its better than the HIDs installed in my cobalt and better the my ladies 12 MDX. Espercially when the blacktop is wet. I can actually see light on the road espcially with the all weathers on. The high beams are awesome. The only gripe I do have is that the low beams dont project further up the street.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Vision, just like hearing, taste, etc., is a very subjective thing. There are always will be those who'll say it is too much and those who'll say it is too little. I personally feel that my Q7's headlights are really good and perfectly adequate. I've compared them with headlights of quite a few other vehicles - luxury and not so - and find them among the most functional. Should I also add that headlights purpose and headlights light output are not necessarily do mean the same thing either?

Quick Reply: Just admiring the Q7 Headlights...