Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

lowering links - rear only anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default lowering links - rear only anyone?

As anyone installed rear only lowering links on a q7/sq7? If so, would you are pictures and thoughts? I am just looking for a 10MM drop in the rear.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewbrion
As anyone installed rear only lowering links on a q7/sq7? If so, would you are pictures and thoughts? I am just looking for a 10MM drop in the rear.
I didn't do rear only, so no pics of that. I did, however, adjust the rears lower than the fronts to even out the ride height.

My only addition of value is to be careful if you go too low. The rear gets bouncy VERY fast IMO. As you lower with airbags, you lose spring rate along the way.

With mine lowered as shown below, the rear was absurdly bouncy and rode very very poorly. Handled (and looked) great, but was otherwise terrible.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,204 Likes on 937 Posts

best option would be to make an adjustment via VCDS and trick the rear of the car into being 10mm lower.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
best option would be to make an adjustment via VCDS and trick the rear of the car into being 10mm lower.
Have any links on how to make this happen? When I was borking around in VCDS trying to diagnose my broken height sensor I found some "calibration values". I haven't changed them yet, and I've read a few threads online, but nothing that really outlines a good working process that doesn't leave you with malfunction indicators.

I have some new 034 lowering links in hand, and I'm somewhat ready to install them. Have some apprehension on the fitment of those and longevity of the suspension with those installed. Would much rather lower electronically instead.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-13-2024, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,204 Likes on 937 Posts

there are other videos as well. I would take pictures of everything you plan on changing so you can always revert back to stock and not have to try and be a magician if you mess something up.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tOgSa0Fzls

there are other videos as well. I would take pictures of everything you plan on changing so you can always revert back to stock and not have to try and be a magician if you mess something up.
I attempted via Obdeleven but it doesn't seem possible. I successfully did it on my S8, but no luck on the SQ7. Based on my research it appears possible on the RS6 and maybe the SQ8, but I have not run across anyone successful on the SQ7.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:49 PM
ePa
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I adjusted my rear height with VCDS. I dropped it 10mm as you wish also. Now Im happy with stance. OEM was "rear up".

Rosstech forum have instructions how to do it, not 1:1 instructions but if you have VCDS in front of you so it is doable with "Suspension Level Control Calibration" instructions

Roughly:
  • Engine running
  • Hood open
  • VCDS connected
  • Suspension to comfort
  • Adaption
  • Security number
  • New value(s)
  • Save
  • Log off
  • Hood down
  • Test drive
Old 06-16-2024, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ePa
I adjusted my rear height with VCDS. I dropped it 10mm as you wish also. Now Im happy with stance. OEM was "rear up".

Rosstech forum have instructions how to do it, not 1:1 instructions but if you have VCDS in front of you so it is doable with "Suspension Level Control Calibration" instructions

Roughly:
  • Engine running
  • Hood open
  • VCDS connected
  • Suspension to comfort
  • Adaption
  • Security number
  • New value(s)
  • Save
  • Log off
  • Hood down
  • Test drive
I also tried with VCDS and no luck. My only theory is that it is locked down on the SQ7 with the sports package (rear active anti-roll bar and real wheel steering).
Old 06-16-2024, 09:14 PM
ePa
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewbrion
I also tried with VCDS and no luck. My only theory is that it is locked down on the SQ7 with the sports package (rear active anti-roll bar and real wheel steering).
Did you put security key to VCDS?

I think all the cars are software wise the same between each other. Engine management is different of course when engines are different, but all other should be the same.

Otherwise its impossible to manage all the variations between models and levels.

German engineer is not stupid, not flexible but smart (kind of).
Old 06-17-2024, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've seen those. Looks fairly straightforward. I've also read a few threads on Audizine and RossTech forums where there are MIL's present on the Q7 that can only be remedies with the ODIS software. Which is probably out of my wheelhouse. That's kept me hesitant to try through VCDS. I have read some recent updates with some success here, as well as on those other forums, so I might consider that again. Have to think on it some though.

Once we're back from vacation I'm probably just going to try the 034 Lowering Links again and see if I can get those to work. I ran the Airmatics for almost 18mo and they worked just fine for me. I suspect I'll be happy with these as well once I actually get them on and don't damage something else in the process.

Quick Reply: lowering links - rear only anyone?