Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Maximum Tongue Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maximum Tongue Weight?

Hi All-recentky picked up a 2017 Prestige w/ Air Suspension. My first Audi ever. It didn't come with factory tow package so got local installer (recommended by Audi dealership) to install Stealth Hitch package

https://stealthhitches.com/products/audi-hitch-shr30015?rq=yr_2017~mk_audi~md_q7

Question-can my setup really tow 7700 lbs w/ 770 lbs tongue weight? Note the distance b/w ball joint and receiver (10 inches vs 6.19 as recommended by manual)

Thanks a ton in advance!

Old 06-04-2023, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Given the further distance you have between the ball and the hitch, the amount of torque it puts on the mounting bolts of the hitch will be significantly more. I would try to use a much shorter ball mount and even then will de-rate the tongue weight by how much you are more than the factory spec's.
The following users liked this post:
Unesimpson1 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-04-2023, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Do you have the tow module and 7 pin connector?

If not...use OEM, don't go aftermarket (ie cutting wires). The module sets other parameters when it senses a trailer is plugged in.

Also, you'll need an electronic brake controller for any larger trailer...
Old 06-04-2023, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by urs6_ma

If not...use OEM, don't go aftermarket (ie cutting wires). The module sets other parameters when it senses a trailer is plugged in.

I do have 7 pin connector. But not sure about tow module!
Old 06-04-2023, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I do have a choice of buying a shorter version - https://stealthhitches.com/products/ball-mount-u5s

Not sure about the exact specs though. The original package came with longer version of the ball mount.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 184 Posts

That 6.193" dimension is effing absurd. It puts the tongue of the trailer damn near touching the rear valence. Beyond that, I'm not even certain that the Curt branded hitch Audi sold from the dealership met the spec. It's quite unrealistic with any currently reasonably available equipment.

If you want to play it safe, then reduce the tongue weight by ratio of the length of your hitch to the max recommended length.......Say you have a 10.00" dimension on your hitch, Max rated it 6.193". Reduce your load by 6.193/10.00 = 61.9% of rated load or 433.5lbf rated load on the ball. Your dimensions of course will vary, but the math should hold to keep you safe. Please do a personal risk assessment before pulling anything.

I towed near the limit (~7,500lbs) with this setup and didn't have any issues. Borrowed the adjustable hitch from a friend, ran a 2-5/16 ball, and rented the car trailer. I used a Curt Bluetooth controlled brake controller, and had a safe and largely enjoyable tow. Was about 700 mile round trip, trailer was empty on the way there, and loaded with the pickup on the way home. Never had any sway, stopping, or power issues along the way. Q7 handled the load with aplomb.

Last edited by 2kwik4u; 06-05-2023 at 08:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mukul2017 (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mukul2017
I do have 7 pin connector. But not sure about tow module!
That seven pin connected must be attached to something.

Sounds like all you need *might* be a brake controller... Some people use wired versions (on the older Q7, the connector is under the dash), while others use a bluetooth connection, no wiring necessary...
Old 06-05-2023, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That seven pin connected must be attached to something.

Sounds like all you need *might* be a brake controller... Some people use wired versions (on the older Q7, the connector is under the dash), while others use a bluetooth connection, no wiring necessary...
Thi

Pic from underneath

This is the setup of stealth hitch...
Old 06-05-2023, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2kwik4u
That 6.193" dimension is effing absurd. It puts the tongue of the trailer damn near touching the rear valence. Beyond that, I'm not even certain that the Curt branded hitch Audi sold from the dealership met the spec. It's quite unrealistic with any currently reasonably available equipment.

If you want to play it safe, then reduce the tongue weight by ratio of the length of your hitch to the max recommended length.......Say you have a 10.00" dimension on your hitch, Max rated it 6.193". Reduce your load by 6.193/10.00 = 61.9% of rated load or 433.5lbf rated load on the ball. Your dimensions of course will vary, but the math should hold to keep you safe. Please do a personal risk assessment before pulling anything.

I towed near the limit (~7,500lbs) with this setup and didn't have any issues. Borrowed the adjustable hitch from a friend, ran a 2-5/16 ball, and rented the car trailer. I used a Curt Bluetooth controlled brake controller, and had a safe and largely enjoyable tow. Was about 700 mile round trip, trailer was empty on the way there, and loaded with the pickup on the way home. Never had any sway, stopping, or power issues along the way. Q7 handled the load with aplomb.

spoke in length with stealth hitch guys today. They confirmed it is absolutely safe to tow 7700 lbs w/ 770 lbs tongue weight despite the length of ball mount being 10 inches. (Vs. Audi recommended 6.19 inches)

Now question is do I test it
Old 06-05-2023, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I love the design of the Stealth Hitch. While our Q7 came with the OEM setup, the Cayenne did not. I thought about the Stealth Hitch setup, but then decided to go OEM (actually another Q7 hitch, but the parts are identical). I don't mind the look of a receiver on the back of an SUV, even a Porsche.