Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I stopped by the dealer and swapped out the battery today. I'll definitely give y'all a heads up if it happens again.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This occurs with my wife's key every so often. I have changed the battery but still occurs.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
Since it didn't clear when holding to key to console and it's working now I'd say it's not the battery. Probably an anomaly. I had all my backup cameras turn black and flicker for about a day months ago and not a problem since.
I brought up my long ago camera problem and today it just surfaced again. All the cameras have gone black.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same thing happened today - key fob will not allow car to start

Fortunately I found these posts from my phone and had my partner bring second fob from home which allowed car to start when I positioned it in center console. I have changed batteries in both fobs - hopefully this won't happen again. You would think there would be some kind of mechanical backup to start the car. If anyone gets more info please post! And thanks for your help!
Old 12-17-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Beachbobe
Fortunately I found these posts from my phone and had my partner bring second fob from home which allowed car to start when I positioned it in center console. I have changed batteries in both fobs - hopefully this won't happen again. You would think there would be some kind of mechanical backup to start the car. If anyone gets more info please post! And thanks for your help!
I'm curious as to why you needed the second fob. If your fob is out of batteries, you can open the car via the key, and then start the car by placing your (out of battery) fob in the center console area.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Interestingly, I had the same issue today where my Q7 prompted me to place the key on the designated area. I've only had it for about 6 weeks and I found it strange it would do this. I don't think it could be battery related but no telling these days. I was using my wife's FOB when I got the message. Since she is the primary driver, her FOB gets used about 90% of the time. How long should the batteries normally last?
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 AM
Banned

The fob battery should last well,over a year. Only think that would decrease the battery life is the fob being located too close to the vehicle causing it to constantly communicate.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in JaxFl
Only think that would decrease the battery life is the fob being located too close to the vehicle causing it to constantly communicate.
...or if it got wedged somewhere (purse?) where a button was being constantly pushed.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nhatman
I'm curious as to why you needed the second fob. If your fob is out of batteries, you can open the car via the key, and then start the car by placing your (out of battery) fob in the center console area.
Thanks for your reply - the original key fob even when positioned over marked area in center console wouldn't clear the error message. Fortunately, the second fob did. Then the original fob starting working again. Changed batteries in both for good measure but I'm not convinced that was the problem. Cannot seem to get a definitive answer from anyone. Making sure my Roadside Assistance is up to date in case I need it!!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Beachbobe
Thanks for your reply - the original key fob even when positioned over marked area in center console wouldn't clear the error message. Fortunately, the second fob did. Then the original fob starting working again. Changed batteries in both for good measure but I'm not convinced that was the problem. Cannot seem to get a definitive answer from anyone. Making sure my Roadside Assistance is up to date in case I need it!!
Found this online: Most smart key batteries are temperature sensitive causing the fob to become intermittent, fully functional, or inoperative all in the same day.

Any chance you live in a cold climate?

Also, I would check with your dealer about the FOB. It's my understanding that the FOB has a passive chip (requiring no power, like those NFC chips in credit cards, access cards, etc.) as backup for when the battery runs out. That's why it has to be placed at that special spot, just like access ID cards and other NFC cards. Perhaps it would be worth experimenting: take the batteries out of both FOBs and see if they can start the car when placed in the center console.

Last edited by nhatman; 12-18-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"