Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting - I had just finished a walk outside with temp in the 20's. Interesting idea to experiment without fob battery. I will try that on the original fob that gave me trouble.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jim Herrod
Wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue. The message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area. See owners manual" came up with my wife's keyfob in the car. Placing it in the center console area, as instructed, didn't clear the message and the vehicle still wouldn't start. I went inside the house and got my own keyfob, and it worked. So about a half an hour later we tried it again with my wife's keyfob, and it now works. So bottom line, if I wasn't around with my own keyfob the first time, she would've been stranded.

I called the dealer, and all they said is it might be the battery in the keyfob and they will replace it for us. Problem with that is, her keyfob now works fine. So this is some kind of intermittent thing and we're not sure if we can expect this to happen again. Has anyone else come across this issue?
I've noticed this recently after when you accidentally drop key fobs on the floor, the key fobs then has issues with recognition to with the car the next time you use it, it unlocks the car fine and put the key fob up against the symbol is fine but if you got it in your pocket the car has trouble recognising the key in this is after you have dropped the key fob on the floor and it can be only from a few feet off the ground which is ridiculous in my opinion. The key fob that started doing it a while ago has started to work a lot better by itself but yesterday I used the spare fob that didn't have an issue, dropped it by accident and all of a sudden the next time I used it to go home then it had a problem.
I will take it apart clean out the batteries or replace them, but it will be ridiculous if you have to reprogram the key fob after everytime you dropped the fob.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The car will detect a low battery and give you a warning in the instrument cluster.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know that's why I don't think it is a flat battery, but I took my key fobs apart yesterday and I noticed the batteries are actually quite loose against the contacts, probably where the heavy end of the key strikes the floor, the batteries push up against the battery contacts pushes them apart and weakens their grip, so I just cleaned up the contacts bent the contacts back in towards where the battery is so it grips it tighter touch wood the key fobs have been working ok so far.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Normalnorms
I've noticed this recently after when you accidentally drop key fobs on the floor, the key fobs then has issues with recognition .
Dropped my key in the garage while getting into car earlier this week, and "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area. See owners manual" message appeared. This is the first time seeing this. Did not see when battery needed replacement awhile back; a different message appeared at that time (forgot since), and have never had this message generated when it is cold - we have had a few below zero days with no issue.

So, would agree this particular error message may be result of the fob being dropped, or otherwise banged about.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is the second time that it happens to my wife's keyfob in our A4. Last time it happened, we exchanged our keyfobs, just in case hers had any problem. So, it is originally mine keyfob that had the problem today.
But it has been used by my wife for a while. Definitely *not* being a male chauvinist, can not help noticing the frequency at which wife's keyfob is mentioned in this thread.

Could it be that wives drop keys more frequently than husbands? :-)
Old 11-26-2019, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdA4AudiOwner
This is the second time that it happens to my wife's keyfob in our A4. Last time it happened, we exchanged our keyfobs, just in case hers had any problem. .......But it has been used by my wife for a while. Definitely *not* being a male chauvinist, can not help noticing the frequency at which wife's keyfob is mentioned in this thread.

Careful, to paraphrase Confucius Pun "man who accuse wife of losing or dropping key, get no newkey" sorry
The following users liked this post:
Corgiman (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ThirdA4AudiOwner
This is the second time that it happens to my wife's keyfob in our A4. Last time it happened, we exchanged our keyfobs, just in case hers had any problem. So, it is originally mine keyfob that had the problem today.
But it has been used by my wife for a while. Definitely *not* being a male chauvinist, can not help noticing the frequency at which wife's keyfob is mentioned in this thread.

I've had no further issues since I adjusted the keyfobs battery contacts nearly 2 years ago.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Fixed it for me this time...

I have a 2014 A7. I found this area next to the radio and held the back of the fob to it. It fixed the problem for me. See picture:

See the little wireless icon thing?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area. See owners manual"

If you search through the manual (2018 Q5) you will NOT find it where you would expect it to be (Opening and Closing - pages 30 through 36 which deal with the remotes). Instead, you will find it on page 79 Fig. 88 which deals with "starting the engine". And you will find that this "TOP SECRET" location is o
"in the left cup holder". Why can't Audi just make it simple and have the message s9imply say: Put in left cup holder? I guess one of the reasons why Audi makes things so complicated is to keep their service departments busy. It seems to work since our 2 closest dealers will only accept appointments at least 2 weeks away.

Quick Reply: Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"