Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 285 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Prochorenko
If you search through the manual (2018 Q5) you will NOT find it where you would expect it to be (Opening and Closing - pages 30 through 36 which deal with the remotes). Instead, you will find it on page 79 Fig. 88 which deals with "starting the engine". And you will find that this "TOP SECRET" location is o
"in the left cup holder". Why can't Audi just make it simple and have the message s9imply say: Put in left cup holder? I guess one of the reasons why Audi makes things so complicated is to keep their service departments busy. It seems to work since our 2 closest dealers will only accept appointments at least 2 weeks away.
I imagine most of us would never look in a Q5 manual since this is a Q7 forum.....
Old 07-09-2021, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I agree that it was probably a one-time glitch. But could be a weak but not dead battery too.

Just to confirm, when you put key in "designated area", it was the area in the pic below, not the slot between the cup holders?

Still saving butts in 2021. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It can also be where your key is located in the car. We have about a 1/2 mile drive between the house and the lake and if I'm wearing board shorts (only one pocket) with my key, iPhone, and wallet in the same back pocket, it's not uncommon for me to get that error. once I remove the key from the pocket and put it between the cup holders, it fires right up.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ditto - Exactly the same issue

Originally Posted by Jim Herrod
Wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue. The message "Remote Control Key. Hold back of key against designated area. See owners manual" came up with my wife's keyfob in the car. Placing it in the center console area, as instructed, didn't clear the message and the vehicle still wouldn't start. I went inside the house and got my own keyfob, and it worked. So about a half an hour later we tried it again with my wife's keyfob, and it now works. So bottom line, if I wasn't around with my own keyfob the first time, she would've been stranded.

I called the dealer, and all they said is it might be the battery in the keyfob and they will replace it for us. Problem with that is, her keyfob now works fine. So this is some kind of intermittent thing and we're not sure if we can expect this to happen again. Has anyone else come across this issue?
I have a 2018 Q5. We experienced the IDENTICAL problem last night. EXACTLY the same except, my key fob battery was new this summer. I can add that my daughter stood in front of the car as I tried to start it. She said there was a clicking sound as I tried to start it. Like a dead car battery. Once we got the spare key it started with so very fast changes happening on the dash. Not sure what that was about. I did notice a yellow "Presets" light illuminated a couple of hours later as we started the car to come home. I haven't been able to find anything on the 'Presets' yet. I'll call the dealer on Monday.