Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

MMI Misery -- First World Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Misery -- First World Problem

Hey Guys,

So, I just started using my Q7. Last week it was at 120 miles and now at 1500 miles. The problem Im experiencing is first world, but infuriating nevertheless. I would say that if this car came out in the early 90s without all the MMI stuff, then I would love it for how smooth it is, but since getting this thing I cant connect to Carplay even when plugging in to USB(it offers option to connect then disconnects immediately---no carplay interface), the MMI Connect is down and 'Audi is working diligently to fix the problem,' so, key user functionality is dead. The MMI wont recognize my phone as an Audi smartphone. Also, the MMI will jam requiring reboot when the bluetooth and wifi are activated and my phone is plugged in. I spent an hour on the phone with Audi to see if they could help. The girl on the line went through all her algorithms to no avail. Finally, she just kept repeating that she had no idea despite multiple reboots and resets and told me to go to dealer. This is on top of the fogging of the headlight casing. Its all quite a bummer for a 100k car.

The good news is that the B&O sounds nice, the alcantara is sweet, the soft close doors work well, the massage seats are awesome, and the HUD is refreshing.

Anyone have any idea for the MMI?

Cheers and thanks for the vent,

A
Old 09-04-2018, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to the MMI Connect world of a really great car and underdone software. Multiple reboots, intermittent overhead view, sometimes smartphone, sometimes not. Makes Volvo's Sensus sound like ironclad reliability. The bar is pretty low. Going to the dealer sounds good. Well done, Audi.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate brining any new vehicle into service (fear of collateral damage) but have come to understand these kinds of problems problem must (if they haven't already) be reported to Audi and allow them to repair for three reasons 1) it allows Audi to learn about the issue from a vehicle that's currently experiencing it 2) it's truly the only way problems will get the attention they need, as the more complaints Audi receives the more attention the problems receive. 3) faster solutions for us all
Old 09-04-2018, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Fogging of the headlights is normal...it's even specifically mentioned in the owner's manual.

Many MMI issues end up requiring new software or hardware....in either case a "dealer-only" solution, but extremely likely it will be sorted out. It seems like the Q7 has software bugs that other models do not have, as many Q7 owners seem to post issue. My TT's MMI has worked nearly without issue for 30,000 miles, and that was the first "version" launched (one would think the TT would have all sorts of issues being the first model to incorporate MMI and the Virtual Cockpit).

I wouldn't be too discouraged, it likely will be resolved without much effort from you. And the mention of Volvo's Sensus....yes, it's a pretty slick system that seems to get a lot of attention for it's shortcomings (some rightfully deserved when it launched), but with the new update it's pretty solid. It's amazing how MMI is praised for "class leading", yet likely has more issues than it's rivals, LOL. By the time is all sorted out it wont matter....everything will have moved to the 2 touch screen interface, and we can start the software issues all over again.....
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Fogging of the headlights is normal...it's even specifically mentioned in the owner's manual.

Many MMI issues end up requiring new software or hardware....in either case a "dealer-only" solution, but extremely likely it will be sorted out. It seems like the Q7 has software bugs that other models do not have, as many Q7 owners seem to post issue. My TT's MMI has worked nearly without issue for 30,000 miles, and that was the first "version" launched (one would think the TT would have all sorts of issues being the first model to incorporate MMI and the Virtual Cockpit).

I wouldn't be too discouraged, it likely will be resolved without much effort from you. And the mention of Volvo's Sensus....yes, it's a pretty slick system that seems to get a lot of attention for it's shortcomings (some rightfully deserved when it launched), but with the new update it's pretty solid. It's amazing how MMI is praised for "class leading", yet likely has more issues than it's rivals, LOL. By the time is all sorted out it wont matter....everything will have moved to the 2 touch screen interface, and we can start the software issues all over again.....
That's what's keeping me way from a Q8, I not only don't like the way the touch screen(s) look, but am wary of too many bugs.

Last edited by RJC 1; 09-04-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
It's amazing how MMI is praised for "class leading", yet likely has more issues than it's rivals, LOL.
There is a reason why it's also refereed to as Bleeding Edge :-)
Old 09-05-2018, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to verify, you are using CarPlay, which is for iOS and not Android Auto for Android, right?

From what I've seen on the forums, especially with iOS devices, is that a lot of the time the issues are with Apple's software, which is a rarity. Are you using the latest release of iOS 11? Check for updates just to be sure. Also, the betas can give issues with any car or or other device, so if you're running iOS 12 beta, that could be an issue, too.

I use an Android device in my car, so Android Auto had its own set of headaches initially, but it's all good now. We have 2 iPhones in our household, but they aren't connected or paired to our Audi but I still use an iPad daily and have used iOS devices since 2009 so I'm familiar with them too.

It really shouldn't be an MMI issue at this point and the culprit is usually being on older firmwares of Android or iOS.

Does the phone at least charge once connected via the USB cable? And what iPhone are you using?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJC 1
That's what's keeping me way from a Q8, I not only don't like the way the touch screen(s) look, but am wary of too many bugs.
We have a touch screen in our '16 F-150... we find it distracting.. We find that with touch screens you actually have to look at the screen as you touch it, which are eyes off the road. With our '15 S3, the varied ***** and buttons give a tactile sense of where your fingers are and what they can do. Touch screens don't do that. We are not fans of touch screens replacing ***** and buttons.

Comparing the two.... Audi does the electronic human interface far better than Ford.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
Just to verify, you are using CarPlay, which is for iOS and not Android Auto for Android, right?

From what I've seen on the forums, especially with iOS devices, is that a lot of the time the issues are with Apple's software, which is a rarity. Are you using the latest release of iOS 11? Check for updates just to be sure. Also, the betas can give issues with any car or or other device, so if you're running iOS 12 beta, that could be an issue, too.

I use an Android device in my car, so Android Auto had its own set of headaches initially, but it's all good now. We have 2 iPhones in our household, but they aren't connected or paired to our Audi but I still use an iPad daily and have used iOS devices since 2009 so I'm familiar with them too.

It really shouldn't be an MMI issue at this point and the culprit is usually being on older firmwares of Android or iOS.

Does the phone at least charge once connected via the USB cable? And what iPhone are you using?

I use the iphone X with the most up to date iOS. For some reason, it started working today. ALSO, just got off the phone with Audi, and the connect problem they were having has been resolved. So, it should start working again for anyone who has had issues. Ill check tomorrow when I play with it.

A
Old 09-06-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2018Q7
I use the iphone X with the most up to date iOS. For some reason, it started working today. ALSO, just got off the phone with Audi, and the connect problem they were having has been resolved. So, it should start working again for anyone who has had issues. Ill check tomorrow when I play with it.

A
glad it is working for you. I would suggest you use a certified iphone cable and try different iPhones/iOS if you can to ensure that is not the issue. I had a issue on a loaner Q7 with my iPhone X but no issue with my iPhone 6+ so go figure. When I plugged both phones on my Q7 all work fine.

Keep at it and report any findings on this forum. Good luck!

Quick Reply: MMI Misery -- First World Problem