Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My Q7 Says The 2020/2021 Nav Map Update Is Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Default My Q7 Says The 2020/2021 Nav Map Update Is Out

Two Questions:

1. How do I get this new update? Right after I bought my Q7 in January 2020, I was able to navigate to an Audi Connect page from the MyAudi website to download the entire 2020 U.S. map onto a USB stick, which I used to update the Q7 vehicle maps. After learning today from the "Software Update" screen of my MMI that a new version was out, I tried to do the same thing, but no joy - there does not seem to be a place on the Audi Connect site anymore to download the new map version to a USB. Does anyone know how I can download the new entire U.S. map data base onto a USB stick?

2. How frequently do map updates come out, and is there some way to be alerted to when one is available?
Old 07-30-2020, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I learned some interesting stuff from an Audi U.S. CSR this morning while researching the issue in the original post. He said:

1. Map updates come out every six months
2. The ability to download the new map updates from the MyAudi website has been deleted and the plann is it will be relocated to the MyAudi telephone app
3. There is no timetable the CSR could give me when the app would be changed and I would be able to download the entire U.S. map update via the phone app. Instead, he encouraged me to use the over-the-air update mechanism in the vehicle's MMI -> System Maintenance function.
4. The CSR confirmed that the OTA mechanism does not permit a download of the entire U.S. map update. The OTA updates only a maximum of 5 segments, evidently per each 6 month update period.
5. The CSR, when pressed, admitted that the only way presently to acquire an entire map update would be to pay a dealer and get the appropriate CD.
6. Finally even after updating the 5 maximum segments in my Q7 (TX by itself comprises 2 of them), the MMI screen erroneously tells users to go to Audi.com/myAudi to obtain the rest of the segments.

In other words, the MMI guidance itself needs updating, and the only way presently to obtain an entire semi-annual map update (free for my vehicle for a total of 6 updates) is to pay a dealer for the CD! It's hard for me to rationalize this shortcoming in a so-called "high technology" vehicle.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Does this help? https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-here-2991609/
Old 07-30-2020, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Map updates question: do I need Connect Prime to get frequent updates to the maps? My subscription expires in a few weeks and I know I don't need the Plus yet (no vacations scheduled any time soon), but I guess I do need Connect Prime to get map updating. Yes?
Old 07-30-2020, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
Map updates question: do I need Connect Prime to get frequent updates to the maps? My subscription expires in a few weeks and I know I don't need the Plus yet (no vacations scheduled any time soon), but I guess I do need Connect Prime to get map updating. Yes?
No
Old 07-31-2020, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue
I learned some interesting stuff from an Audi U.S. CSR this morning while researching the issue in the original post. He said:

1. Map updates come out every six months
2. The ability to download the new map updates from the MyAudi website has been deleted and the plann is it will be relocated to the MyAudi telephone app
3. There is no timetable the CSR could give me when the app would be changed and I would be able to download the entire U.S. map update via the phone app. Instead, he encouraged me to use the over-the-air update mechanism in the vehicle's MMI -> System Maintenance function.
4. The CSR confirmed that the OTA mechanism does not permit a download of the entire U.S. map update. The OTA updates only a maximum of 5 segments, evidently per each 6 month update period.
5. The CSR, when pressed, admitted that the only way presently to acquire an entire map update would be to pay a dealer and get the appropriate CD.
6. Finally even after updating the 5 maximum segments in my Q7 (TX by itself comprises 2 of them), the MMI screen erroneously tells users to go to Audi.com/myAudi to obtain the rest of the segments.

In other words, the MMI guidance itself needs updating, and the only way presently to obtain an entire semi-annual map update (free for my vehicle for a total of 6 updates) is to pay a dealer for the CD! It's hard for me to rationalize this shortcoming in a so-called "high technology" vehicle.
Actually, the OTA updates are limited to 3 "segments"...

Here's a link to a more extensive discussion of this topic: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...lable-2984537/
Old 07-31-2020, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I read the "granddaddy" thread on map updates from the link suggested upthread. Based on the later posts there and the CSR's input to me this week, it looks like entire US map updates will NOT be provided directly from Audi, if ever, until the "COVID-19" crisis is resolved (whenever Audi decides that has occurred and its US employees go back to the office). Users will have no ability to download the entire map at all except directly from Audi during the 2.5 year update period or from a dealer, unless that feature is folded into the MyAudi telephone app. However, there is no ETA on that improvement, and I seriously question whether it will ever occur - the financial incentives to VW-Audi to charge for the entire map are just too great to pass up.

This apparent money-grab is stone stupid. As the world gets more used to comprehensive updates of systems and maps by other manufacturers and third-party companies, fewer people will be attracted to vehicles that don't do so inexpensively and efficiently. I'm looking at you, VW-Audi
The following users liked this post:
Jeburnett (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue
Well, I read the "granddaddy" thread on map updates from the link suggested upthread. Based on the later posts there and the CSR's input to me this week, it looks like entire US map updates will NOT be provided directly from Audi, if ever, until the "COVID-19" crisis is resolved (whenever Audi decides that has occurred and its US employees go back to the office). Users will have no ability to download the entire map at all except directly from Audi during the 2.5 year update period or from a dealer
I concur. In the numerous phone conversations I've had with the (always extremely nice) Audi Care representative, she too intimated that this situation is really a result of all of the employees having to work from home and *perhaps* will change back or for the better once they can return to the office. In the meanwhile, she's working with Audi Parts and my dealership to figure out the exact part number of the entire North American database. We've been talking "SD" cards but I don't she really knows what media they might be deliver on. My next scheduled update from her is next Monday so I may have more news to share then.

One more comment I'd like to add; she has admitted that I'm not the only Audi customer to call in about this and she acknowledges the loss of goodwill Audi is incurring because of it. I asked if she was forwarding all of this customer feedback up the chain and she assured me that most definitely she was. In the interest of helping some leadership types up that chain to appreciate the scope of the damage this has caused, it would help the cause if everyone reading this thread (and heck all Audi customers you know) were to call in and express your displeasure at this decision or situation. I would implore you to be very civil with the CSR who has to take your call but be very clear about how this has damaged your relationship with the Audi Corporation. If 2 of us complain, this will not likely motivate a favorable management decision. On the other hand, a groundswell of dissatisfied callers might just!
Old 08-01-2020, 01:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jeburnett,

Please post the outcome of your Monday discussion with the CSR - I hope it will give the rest of us the information we need to keep pushing on this.

I guess what really grinds my gears here is the bait and switch from a 2.5 year semi-annual free update cycle to the paid subscription model I fear is coming, without any announcement or rationale from Audi. Sort of like a stealth tax for those who recently bought Audis and who actually use the nav system in their vehicles.

Even if Audi decides against going to a full subscription model for the NA data base, the right thing would be to extend the 2.5 year "free" period by the length of time they are unable to provide the NA data base to owners, whether that's because of COVID-19 or their delay in folding that feature into the MyAudi telephone app. Otherwise, owners will lose at least one and probably more "free" semi-annual update cycles through no fault of their own.
The following users liked this post:
Jeburnett (08-02-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
No
So how do I get these map updates that others are discussing if they are OTA? Don't I have to have some sort of subscription thru Audi to do OTA stuff? I'm confused as hell about the whole thing.

Quick Reply: My Q7 Says The 2020/2021 Nav Map Update Is Out