Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Need 1qt of oil to continue driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,201 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbygates
My Audi Q5 is hardly 2 months old 2021 modle, done around 2k miles and low engine oil warning light has come, engine also rattles when raving the engine
You need to post this to the B9 Q5 section. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Audi A5 B8.5 Min Oil Light every 300 Miles +/-

Re 2014 Audi A5 2.0T Currently 91K . Problem started around 89+K -
Last summer, I drove over a bump and head a tap in under carriage. Shortly after orange " Min Oil " appeared on Dash board.
Took car to local mechanic and he suggested chnage the pressure sensor, and also gave an oil change because it was near due.

About 1 week later ( about 300-500 miles of driving ), when i turned the car on, MMI displayed I need to add 1 Quart Oil.
I called mechanic back, and he suggest sensor may be bad, he will chnage again and top up oil.
Again after approv 300 miles, i was driving thru a single lane tunnel and the light came back again. Its nerve wracking. If the light can come on as Orange, Red can come on also. As soon as I exit tunnel, I text mechanic. He said I should be OK to get back home. Next day I bought a quart Oil and added about 1/4 or a quart.
As soon as I start car, white smoke was billowing out the back. Called AAA , and towed to mechnic. He informed me, I over filled - there might be damage, hes drained some oil out, the car starts, there no warning light but there is still alot of smoke, just drive the car as normal and hopefully the smoke will go away.
About 300 mies later, MMI displays againto add 1 quart and orange Min Light displays on dash. What to do ? This is so frustrating.IM afraid to take my car on distance trips, I hardly drive it. I done a lot of research, I check the Hood sensor as some have suggested. Any suggestions?

Old 06-19-2021, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by tr3ndsetr
Any suggestions?
Yes - ask in the A5 forum. This is the Q7 forum.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Last summer, I drove over a bump and head a tap in under carriage. Shortly after orange " Min Oil " appeared on Dash board.
Took car to local mechanic and he suggested chnage the pressure sensor, and also gave an oil change because it was near due.

About 1 week later ( about 300-500 miles of driving ), when i turned the car on, MMI displayed I need to add 1 Quart Oil.
I called mechanic back, and he suggest sensor may be bad, he will chnage again and top up oil.
Again after approv 300 miles, i was driving thru a single lane tunnel and the light came back again. Its nerve wracking. If the light can come on as Orange, Red can come on also. As soon as I exit tunnel, I text mechanic. He said I should be OK to get back home. Next day I bought a quart Oil and added about 1/4 or a quart.
As soon as I start car, white smoke was billowing out the back. Called AAA , and towed to mechnic. He informed me, I over filled - there might be damage, hes drained some oil out, the car starts, there no warning light but there is still alot of smoke, just drive the car as normal and hopefully the smoke will go away.
About 300 mies later, MMI displays againto add 1 quart and orange Min Light displays on dash. What to do ? This is so frustrating.IM afraid to take my car on distance trips, I hardly drive it. I done a lot of research, I check the Hood sensor as some have suggested. Any suggestions?
I strongly advise u to go to a more knowledgeable tech. Smoke billowing out and "let me change the sensor twice in short order" don't jive.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

My SQ7 barked at me for low oil (first time) around 5750 miles... topped if off. Sub'd to thread.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks Im good, . We never use Stealership. The Min Oil is a known issue with Audi, - just google it. Friend had simiar issue with his S8 and sold his car. I had a similar issue on my B5 except it was around 175K. I just ordered a dipstick, and will start trouble shooting from there, I also have a Ross Tech Vag Com that I been meaning to connect up. Maybe there another error code somewhere. Ill keep yall posted. Thanks for responses.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am currently at little over 80500 miles and had the message appear 3 times since June 2016 and each time I added 1/2 qt.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Prior to first oil change - per my dealer - quite common to burn a full quart over 12 months or 10k miles…
Old 09-30-2022, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to check in and see how this turned out for you. I have the warning light on my 2014 S4 and I might end up on the same journey as you.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dave_
I strongly advise u to go to a more knowledgeable tech. Smoke billowing out and "let me change the sensor twice in short order" don't jive.
All resolved now!
Check Valve Cover Gasket Sealant. In my case I had 2 leaks. Indie mechanic charged $750 for parts and labor, and also changed spark plugs.
No more min Oil light, no more burning oil smells. Ive driven 5K+ mi no issues at all, no warning lights, or check engine. Post back , and let us know how works out for you. Gd lk

Quick Reply: Need 1qt of oil to continue driving