Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Need 1qt of oil to continue driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 116 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnat
I can't believe Audi isn't able to produce an engine in this day and age that doesn't burn oil. I have 15,000 miles on my 2022 Q7 45 and have to have the dealer add a half to a quart of oil at 7500 miles (dealer provides at no charge). I have owned Volvo's, BMW's, Porsche's, and Mercedes Benz, and never had to add oil. My brother has 85,000 miles on his Hyundai and hasn't had oil consumption. To me, this is pretty unacceptable to accept from Audi. Between oil consumption and software issues I will probably trade in the vehicle before the warranty expires. Too bad because I like the Q7 otherwise.
You're not wrong we should be well past a day/age when car engines burn obnoxious amounts of oil.

Having said that, we don't know the percentage of engines this impacts and the conditions surrounding the oil burn. Your case, half a quart over 7500 miles is not obviously an issue at all. Truthfully would you even be monitoring your oil burn if not for reading things on this forum. I know I don't monitor the oil on my wife's X7, our Escalade, or my kid's Infiniti. Does your brother even monitor his oil consumption? How long are his oil change intervals?

There is certainly a working theory around here that the long (10K) OCI's are not healthy for our 3.0s, whether supercharged or turbo.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

FWIW I have never added oil to any of the vehicles in my signature block between annual service, and have never seen MMI oil gauge below 75%.
The following users liked this post:
keg97 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your comment. Just FYI, my brother and I have always checked oil levels on a regular basis since our father instilled it in heads from the first time we delt with anything with an engine. (Lawnmowers, minibikes, motorcycles, and cars) My brother changes oil every 7,500 miles so in fairness it is a little short of our 10k changes to allow apples to apples comparison, but his dipstick measurement is pretty consistent through the 7500 miles.

I realize this forum may cause more people to check their oil levels than they normally would but since several of these reports are caused by their vehicle broadcasting a message and warning about low oil level, there is legitimate reason to have concern. If ignored, and there actually is a problem that results in engine damage, the manufacturer has grounds for questioning warranty coverage. Not saying that they would but the warning messages are recorded in the vehicle's computer.
Old 08-11-2023, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 116 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnat
Thanks for your comment. Just FYI, my brother and I have always checked oil levels on a regular basis since our father instilled it in heads from the first time we delt with anything with an engine. (Lawnmowers, minibikes, motorcycles, and cars) My brother changes oil every 7,500 miles so in fairness it is a little short of our 10k changes to allow apples to apples comparison, but his dipstick measurement is pretty consistent through the 7500 miles.

I realize this forum may cause more people to check their oil levels than they normally would but since several of these reports are caused by their vehicle broadcasting a message and warning about low oil level, there is legitimate reason to have concern. If ignored, and there actually is a problem that results in engine damage, the manufacturer has grounds for questioning warranty coverage. Not saying that they would but the warning messages are recorded in the vehicle's computer.
Ha...love this since it's the father-based in the driveway part! My father taught me to change oil in the driveway and I felt so bad when I realized how inexpensive it was to just take our cars to a trusted shop for oil changes. I feel like I'm cheating!

Appreciate the follow-up. I almost wish you were my neighbor so you could remind me to check the oil on all of our vehicles and lawn toys!!!
The following users liked this post:
Bnat (08-12-2023)