Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

next gen audi

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next gen audi

have had my audi for just under a year now. loving it. but the new A8 has me salivating for details on the next gen Q7 or Q9. anyone heard anything yet?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gani
have had my audi for just under a year now. loving it. but the new A8 has me salivating for details on the next gen Q7 or Q9. anyone heard anything yet?
Honestly, I've never been an Audi guy but after owning my Q7 for 2 months, I'm actually salivating over the new A8. I think I will strongly consider it to replace my 5 series in a couple of years.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Too early. Audi just redesigned Q7 on the new MLBevo platform and they are working through their model lineup and updating all of them as they go. If the past is the rule, we should see mid-cycle redesign around 2021 (current 4M released in 2016), and complete new design around 2026 (10-year cycle), unless something else will push them in a new direction. In the meantime, there is some new competition arriving in a form of XT7 Cady and X7 Beemer. Let's see how things will play out.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gsobol
Too early. Audi just redesigned Q7 on the new MLBevo platform and they are working through their model lineup and updating all of them as they go. If the past is the rule, we should see mid-cycle redesign around 2021 (current 4M released in 2016), and complete new design around 2026 (10-year cycle), unless something else will push them in a new direction. In the meantime, there is some new competition arriving in a form of XT7 Cady and X7 Beemer. Let's see how things will play out.
Is 10 years the norm for Audi? The Germans usually run on a 7 year cycle, so i assumed Audi was the same and the last gen Q was just an anomaly, No?
Old 07-05-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I dont thing the Q7 is changing anytime soon....
Old 07-05-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No news yet regarding the next gen Q7. However, going by the way Audi has been teasing its concept cars, they definitely appear to be production ready. The Q8 is expected to be launched in the very near future. Not only that, Audi is definitely bracing technology far more than its German peers.

Audi Q8 Concept:

Audi e-tron Concept:

Next gen Virtual Cockpit:
Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Is 10 years the norm for Audi? The Germans usually run on a 7 year cycle, so i assumed Audi was the same and the last gen Q was just an anomaly, No?
Cycle fluctuates between 7~10 years, depending on various factors. Most see major redesign within 8 years on average. Best indicator is going to be mid-cycle refresh, that's going to give you a more 'fixed' time frame.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

based on what do they decide on the redesign schedule? ... because i am a new audi fan.... my first audi was the Q7 that i have now... and i would buy a new audi if they released it every 5 years ..... so why such ridiculous times like 10 years? they risk that i will abandon the brand and try BMW or merc. no logic .....or am i missing something?
Old 07-05-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

based on what do they decide on the redesign schedule? ... because i am a new audi fan.... my first audi was the Q7 that i have now... and i would buy a new audi if they released it every 5 years ..... so why such ridiculous times like 10 years? they risk that i will abandon the brand and try BMW or merc. no logic .....or am i missing something?
I think the last generation Q7 had an unusually long cycle where most models fall into the 6 year mark with the 4th year being a mid model refresh.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Most manufacturers (European, Asian or American) have two cycles for a life of a vehicle - mid cycle and full refresh (or new release). Typically these range anywhere between 3~5 years in between cycles. On rare occasion it's shorter (think design flaw, or litigation). Sometimes they just simply die. For most part, they try to maintain 3~4 year refresh, especially lately, since most car leases tend to be in 36~48 month range. This allows car manufacturers to create "excitement" for a new vehicle, and hopefully attract new owners during full refresh and retain current owners during mid cycle - after all, they are in the business of selling new cars. I think Audi waited extra few years to polish the MLBevo platform and then to release the new Q7 as part of it rather than create a new vehicle on the old platform, hence 10 years. In my opinion, it was worth the wait.

Quick Reply: next gen audi