Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Power differential between Reg/Prem Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power differential between Reg/Prem Gas

Hi All,

I was curious as to the power differences between using regular and premium gases. If there is a difference, is it only in the HP output at high revs or is it also noticed in the torque as well?

Thanks,

j
Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

i am going to assume the if you put regular gas in a Q7 it will pull timing which will cause you to lose power and torque, and also possibly trigger a check engine light due to the knock that will incur due to the low octane gas. How much power will be loss? who knows, but I am positive a good amount to keep the engine safe.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always go with Premium gas; Shell or Costco (91). It's suppose to be better for your engine and keep it cleaner as well as provide enough octane so you don't lose power and torque. For me the extra $3 per tank I'd save putting in crapper gas isn't worth it in a car that's costs over $50k and for you Q7 owners it's a lot more. Plenty of articles on gas and stuff like that on the net. Just be sure you also get it from a place that is top tier gas such as Shell, Costco, Exon, etc... because of the detergents used. Not all gas stations are the same.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasaint
i am going to assume the if you put regular gas in a Q7 it will pull timing which will cause you to lose power and torque, and also possibly trigger a check engine light due to the knock that will incur due to the low octane gas. How much power will be loss? who knows, but I am positive a good amount to keep the engine safe.
Why would it trigger a CEL? The minimum per the manual is 87, 91 recommended.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blaze Henryson
I always go with Premium gas; Shell or Costco (91). It's suppose to be better for your engine and keep it cleaner as well as provide enough octane so you don't lose power and torque. For me the extra $3 per tank I'd save putting in crapper gas isn't worth it in a car that's costs over $50k and for you Q7 owners it's a lot more. Plenty of articles on gas and stuff like that on the net. Just be sure you also get it from a place that is top tier gas such as Shell, Costco, Exon, etc... because of the detergents used. Not all gas stations are the same.

so costco gas is really cheveron gas which is great maybe even the best gas you can get (at least here in SW) and it has tecron engine cleaner mixed in. However their "premium"which I pumped yesterday is only 91 octane and their whatever else type is 89 I believe. I always pump the 91 because at their prices (great prices) its worth it but technically premium should be "95 octane" so our cars say 95 preferred and NO LESS THAN 91 .. wonder if there is a timing retardation with 91 vs 95 .
When I lived on the east coast my local station sold 98 octane and 102 octane (race gas) and I used to pump that in my chipped A4 and that made a big difference with the chip.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bootnet
so costco gas is really cheveron gas which is great maybe even the best gas you can get (at least here in SW) and it has tecron engine cleaner mixed in. However their "premium"which I pumped yesterday is only 91 octane and their whatever else type is 89 I believe. I always pump the 91 because at their prices (great prices) its worth it but technically premium should be "95 octane" so our cars say 95 preferred and NO LESS THAN 91 .. wonder if there is a timing retardation with 91 vs 95 .
When I lived on the east coast my local station sold 98 octane and 102 octane (race gas) and I used to pump that in my chipped A4 and that made a big difference with the chip.
I think you may be confusing RON with AKI. The minimum octane for the Q7 is 87 AKI = 91 RON. 95 RON = 91 AKI. In NA, "premium" is 91+.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
I think you may be confusing RON with AKI. The minimum octane for the Q7 is 87 AKI = 91 RON. 95 RON = 91 AKI. In NA, "premium" is 91+.
This is correct and here in Colorado the highest rated octane we have is 91 otherwise I may go with something higher depending on the price. So for me I put in 91.

Thanks for the info about Costco being Exxon gas, I didn't know, I just knew they are a top tier gas and they are cheaper and fairly close to where I live. I may have to use them more often than Shell. I still like Shell though because they are everywhere and provide really great gas, either way you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

List of top tier gas

Home | Top Tier Gas
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right now at costco in my area, premium is $0.40 more a gallon, highest delta to regular grade I have seen yet. Even so based on my fuel consumption, it costs me $29 a month more over my last car that used regular. But not really, because my last car averaged 22mpg and the Q7 is getting 24mpg, calculating it up, the Q7 really only cost's me $13 more a month in gas. Hardy worth putting cheap gas in.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Where do folks stand on the user of ethanol-free gasoline? Does that make a difference in the Q7?

Quick Reply: Power differential between Reg/Prem Gas