Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

The Q7 is fun to drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default The Q7 is fun to drive

I never thought I'd say this about this large beast, but the Q is fun to drive.

I had a long road trip yesterday and had the chance to get away from my usual weekend, suburban driving of the Q. This engine can haul this big beast around very easily. I've said it before, but I am amazed how effortlessly the 3.0 can haul this vehicle around, and quietly too. I was routinely hitting 90-100 mph without even having to think about it, and the Q pulling away. Acceleration even at high speeds was effortless, never wanting for more power. Even at 95 mph, you cannot tell that you are going fast because the engine and cabin are so quiet. I really had fun pushing this on the highway.

Oh, and my mpg at an average speed of 68 mph (over 200 miles) was 24.7 mpg. That is darn good for the way I was pushing her.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree! Last summer, we drove down south fully loaded and what a pleasure it was! Was amazed how efficiently the engine responded with minimal lag. We averaged ~26mpg for ~2500 mile round trip with the air conditioning running during the entire trip!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just today, turned a corner and started going up hill... easily passing someone. Looked down and noticed that I was only in regular mode (not sport mode)... thought "Wow... this is fun!".
Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

It sure is. I love the passing power.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too took a long trip this weekend, about 260 miles. Had it on cruise control between 70-80 mph, all highway. Averaged just under 24 mpg. I was a bit bummed since I thought it could do about 26, especially in cruise control. I get it's a bigger, heavier car but even my 08 535xi gets about 25-26 at the same average speed.

Still a relaxing ride. It was cold so we had the heater on at about 72 on auto. Seat warmer and steering warmer, too, which the MMI says used less than 1/16th of a gallon of gas, or whatever that metric says.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The exhaust on the Q7 sounds SOO much better then my two (2016,2018) XC90s. Even with polestar tuning, the Q7 flat out is faster (Yes I raced the two).

Loving every minute
Old 03-28-2018, 03:41 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I couldn't agree more, it is a lot of fun to drive for a large, heavy SUV. As someone else mentioned, the passing power is great.. My brother in law was in it a while ago and when I went to pass someone he looked at me in amazement and said "wow this thing really gets up and goes"".. I look forward to driving it
Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was forced to buy the Q7after my '13 ML550 came to a premature end at a stoplight. Since the twin-turbo V8 MLs were no longer available, and not finding anything else that gave me the size and "fun factor" that I had with the ML, I did a test drive of the Q while on my way to the MB dealer to buy the AMG ML. Never made it to the MB dealer. Trying not to scare the salesman too much, I managed to whip around the dealership enough to know the Q came close, if not equal to, the ML550.

Now, after more that a year and 20,000 miles, the only thing I miss is the air suspension (which broke twice on the ML in 60,000 miles). The Q feels as quick, but noticeably smoother and more refined. It also feels more stable at speed and during my quicker maneuvers. I also added the driving assists on the Q which makes for much more relaxing long trips. Needless to say, I have to agree the Q7 is just fun to drive.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by smacky
I too took a long trip this weekend, about 260 miles. Had it on cruise control between 70-80 mph, all highway. Averaged just under 24 mpg. I was a bit bummed since I thought it could do about 26, especially in cruise control. I get it's a bigger, heavier car but even my 08 535xi gets about 25-26 at the same average speed.

Still a relaxing ride. It was cold so we had the heater on at about 72 on auto. Seat warmer and steering warmer, too, which the MMI says used less than 1/16th of a gallon of gas, or whatever that metric says.
C'mon now, you are getting 24 versus 25 on a 5 series BMW. That is pretty damn great if you ask me!!
Old 03-28-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh and forgot to mention, I dont like ACC. I just is too slow or fast to correct speed, and takes more concentration on the drivers part, especially if you are changing lanes etc on the highway. Nothing like the human ability to foresee, and make minor or major changes to pedal position as needed. And Lane assist is even worse. I guess I like to drive and all this is just interference to me.

Quick Reply: The Q7 is fun to drive