Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 vs. Q5

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q7 vs. Q5

I asked this same question over on the Q5 forum, but wanted to get this group's thoughts. I'm in the market for a new SUV, and am trying to decide between the Q7 and Q5. I've done a lot of research, so am fairly familiar with the feature (package) differences between the two. I also know it's very subjective on how much space you need.

There's a lot of things I like about the Q5, but am concerned that I may regret not getting something with more space a year or two down the road.

The third row is not a deal-breaker option, as my current vehicle (Tahoe) has a third row and I've used it once this past year.

Are there any things I may not be considering when comparing these two that an owner of a Q7 may be able to point out? Thanks!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a Q5 loaner a few weeks ago when my Q7 was getting the 20k service. I did not like it at all, the Q7 is so much nicer (also to be fair mine is a Prestige, vs i'm not sure what but there was no HUD)

Long story short is it did not feel as nice, the Q7 cabin is much quieter, nor did the drive feel as nice as the Q7, it felt kinda cramped to me, the gas mileage was better at least. I only drove it to work and back to the dealership at the end of the day but I wouldn't even consider the Q5 even if I didn't need the space. I know this isn't the most informed opinion but it did not leave me with a great impression.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
I had a Q5 loaner a few weeks ago when my Q7 was getting the 20k service. I did not like it at all, the Q7 is so much nicer (also to be fair mine is a Prestige, vs i'm not sure what but there was no HUD)

Long story short is it did not feel as nice, the Q7 cabin is much quieter, nor did the drive feel as nice as the Q7, it felt kinda cramped to me, the gas mileage was better at least. I only drove it to work and back to the dealership at the end of the day but I wouldn't even consider the Q5 even if I didn't need the space. I know this isn't the most informed opinion but it did not leave me with a great impression.
That's good feedback and the kind of things I'm looking for.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I asked this same question over on the Q5 forum, but wanted to get this group's thoughts. I'm in the market for a new SUV, and am trying to decide between the Q7 and Q5. I've done a lot of research, so am fairly familiar with the feature (package) differences between the two. I also know it's very subjective on how much space you need.

There's a lot of things I like about the Q5, but am concerned that I may regret not getting something with more space a year or two down the road.

The third row is not a deal-breaker option, as my current vehicle (Tahoe) has a third row and I've used it once this past year.

Are there any things I may not be considering when comparing these two that an owner of a Q7 may be able to point out? Thanks!
I had Q5 TDI - Traded in for Q7.
During the process, we test drove both new Q5 and Q7 back to back. We did that as a family to do get everyone's impressions. Me, Wife and Daughter rejected Q5 for the below reasons.

1. Space in back seats with a front facing CAR seat mounted for our boy and sitting behind me as I am 6.2" tall
2. Ride comfort and interior quality
3. Noice levels
4. We already had q5 so we wanted a "psychological" upgrade too

Long story short - Go to the dealership, plan for both test drives back to back and take a decision with your loved ones. Everyone is different and buy what you like the most!

Old 08-16-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a Q5 loaner at my last service and immediately I noticed that the fit and finish is not as luxurious, nor is the Q5 as quiet (it did have the 2.0 though). Then there's space. While I think the Q7 is not the right car for one person to be driving around every day, its a LOT roomier than the Q5. The second row in the Q7 has plenty of room. The Q7 just feels larger and is.

If its just one person driving around in it all the time, and space not a huge deal, then get a Q5. If you want a luxury vehicle, then get the Q7
Old 08-16-2018, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have both Prestige Q7 18 (mostly my car) and Prestige Q5 18 (mostly my wife's car).

1) Ride is very similar. Q7 has air suspension with all way steering and I can hardly notice the difference when I drive Q5. The noise level is minimal in both cars though in sport mode Q7 is definitely louder.
2) Sound is better in Q5. It is very noticeable on some Jazz music. I regret not upgrading sound in Q7.
3) Obviously Q7 has more cargo space (I have 3rd row folded almost all the time). Said that, 3 ice hockey bags (including goalie) fit easily in Q5.
4) Q7 is still a bigger car and it is noticeable when parking.
5) Interior is very similar and one annoying thing is that it is too similar except a couple buttons (start/stop, parking). I wish Audi would make it exactly the same.

Overall, both cars are very good and pleasure to drive. My wife wanted a red car and it is not available for Q7, so she got red Q5. We needed Q7 for space in our longer trips (3 kids + 2 dogs). For daily usage, Q5 is completely adequate even for our family.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alex123
We have both Prestige Q7 18 (mostly my car) and Prestige Q5 18 (mostly my wife's car).

1) Ride is very similar. Q7 has air suspension with all way steering and I can hardly notice the difference when I drive Q5. The noise level is minimal in both cars though in sport mode Q7 is definitely louder.
2) Sound is better in Q5. It is very noticeable on some Jazz music. I regret not upgrading sound in Q7.
3) Obviously Q7 has more cargo space (I have 3rd row folded almost all the time). Said that, 3 ice hockey bags (including goalie) fit easily in Q5.
4) Q7 is still a bigger car and it is noticeable when parking.
5) Interior is very similar and one annoying thing is that it is too similar except a couple buttons (start/stop, parking). I wish Audi would make it exactly the same.

Overall, both cars are very good and pleasure to drive. My wife wanted a red car and it is not available for Q7, so she got red Q5. We needed Q7 for space in our longer trips (3 kids + 2 dogs). For daily usage, Q5 is completely adequate even for our family.
Thanks for this perspective. I have an eight month old, and also cycle so would like to be able to get a bike inside (with front wheel off) while keeping one seat up so I won't have to remove the car seat base.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 2018 Q5 in April 2017 and owned for 15 months. Traded for a new 2018 Q7. Both Premium Plus. The Q5 was a daily commuter for me and I loved it 30-33 MPG in 2.0 liter engine which is more than enough for this car. Space is okay, 80% of my miles (29K in a year+) were just me, but used for road trips with a small dog and two kids in front facing car seats. It did fine but not a lot of extra space and ruled out a 5th passenger except my wife squeezing in between car seats.
Fit and finish is great, not noticeable different than Q7 to me other than the mono vent and maybe a few areas have soft instead of hard surfaces. Seats not quite as comfortable.
We traded because we moved and went from 2 car to one car with most miles just driving around town with whole family. My Q5 had a major glitch that caused random computer failure at speed that was a big issue for me if not Audi who viewed it as routine. The second time it happened was on a road trip and our loaner was a Q7--family fell in love, much more space. Third row is nice to know you have but honestly just the 2 rows allows plenty of room not only for my car seats but legit space for 5 people and lots of cargo room. Our loaner was 3.0 engine which is great--we bought the 2.0. I dont regret it, it was 6K cheaper, but it does not perform as well in the larger car as it did in the Q5 or my old GTI for that matter... Still does fine but not wow power. Also if gas mileage is a consideration the Q5 kills it 24/31 compared to 17/25 in my experience... This surprised me and hope it improves when we stop using A/C and the start/stop at redlights kicks in. I believe the Q7 has full-time AWD while the Q5 may be on-demand. That and weight cause the dramatic MPG differences for same engine.

BL: I love both cars, both fit the need we use/used them for. The Q7 is a great car and for its size handles very nicely. The family is much more comfortable in it and that was determining factor for me. If it was just me driving, I would driven the Q5 into the ground. I had a Navarra Blue model and just loved that color. We got the 7 in Samurai Grey, which for me was the best of a really boring lineup of colors...
Good Luck!
Old 08-16-2018, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... would like to be able to get a bike inside (with front wheel off) while keeping one seat up so I won't have to remove the car seat base.
I have a hitch mount bike rack (I believe it is this one:
Amazon Amazon
) and it works really well. I didn't try to put bike inside and I think it will be a bad idea in both cars anyway if you have someone else sitting on the 2nd row unless you find a way to secure the bike from falling over. Plus, putting the bikes on the hitch mount rack is easier for me.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Former car (for comparison) was a 2011 Q5 Plus, Current is a Q7 with almost all the bells and whistles including Adaptive Chassis (4 wheel steering and adjustable airshocks).
We loved the Q5, but love the Q7 even more.

Q5:
  • cargo space was too small for us when the TWO of us went camping with the Kayak gear (kayak on top).
  • Back seat (2nd row) is really tight with three people, especially if 3rd person is in a car seat.
  • only 4 cylinders, (but gas mileage was better)
Q7
  • Cargo is much better
  • We have only used the 3rd row one time, but when we did, it was handy. Most of the time they are flat for more cargo
  • 2nd row seat is much wider... actually can accommodate THREE child carseats, or carseat in the middle and two adults on the sides. This makes for a much more comfy ride when taking the grandkids and their parents out.
  • With the 4-wheel steering, its turning radius is actually better than the old Q5, although it's front end sticks out longer, so it can be a little more difficult to park. I found that I back into parking much more often. (the Vision package with the all-around cameras comes in very handy.
  • The MAIN reason we went with Q7 was so we felt better about towing... 6 cylinder, 4-wheel, Airshocks that auto level were three compelling reasons.
  • This car "Feels" more nimble, easier to drive, faster acceleration and just more fun that the Q5.
  • Did I mention that the gas mileage was not as good? Well.. this is the only real negative for me. Currently averaging about 19.5 mpg
It is probably unfair to compare some features... Ride, Power, Quietness, overall feel... all better in the Q7. Either way, I think that the Q5 and Q7 are excellent cars.

Quick Reply: Q7 vs. Q5