Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 vs. Q5

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ttusomeone
I asked this same question over on the Q5 forum, but wanted to get this group's thoughts. I'm in the market for a new SUV, and am trying to decide between the Q7 and Q5. I've done a lot of research, so am fairly familiar with the feature (package) differences between the two. I also know it's very subjective on how much space you need.

There's a lot of things I like about the Q5, but am concerned that I may regret not getting something with more space a year or two down the road.

The third row is not a deal-breaker option, as my current vehicle (Tahoe) has a third row and I've used it once this past year.

Are there any things I may not be considering when comparing these two that an owner of a Q7 may be able to point out? Thanks!
I had an '18 Q5 PP for three weeks waiting for my Q7 to arrive. Loved the Q5! Put about 800 miles on it... Then I got the Q7, completely different class of vehicle. There's a solidity to the Q7 that the Q5 doesn't have... Extra attention to detail, features, engineering touches ect elevate it and it is QUIET... The 2.0T in the Q5 is fun but you definable know there are only four cylinders on the other side of the firewall (I'm sure the 2.0T in the Q7 is better isolated) and you have to wait off the line for the boost to build, it's not terrible but you have to adjust how you drive it. The deal breaker is when you open the hatch... way too small for what I needed...The backseat too, is pretty cramped. If you're used to the space with a Tahoe, and an easy driving V8, the Q5 will probably underwhelm.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason1635
I bought a 2018 Q5 in April 2017 and owned for 15 months. Traded for a new 2018 Q7. Both Premium Plus. The Q5 was a daily commuter for me and I loved it 30-33 MPG in 2.0 liter engine which is more than enough for this car. Space is okay, 80% of my miles (29K in a year+) were just me, but used for road trips with a small dog and two kids in front facing car seats. It did fine but not a lot of extra space and ruled out a 5th passenger except my wife squeezing in between car seats.
Fit and finish is great, not noticeable different than Q7 to me other than the mono vent and maybe a few areas have soft instead of hard surfaces. Seats not quite as comfortable.
We traded because we moved and went from 2 car to one car with most miles just driving around town with whole family. My Q5 had a major glitch that caused random computer failure at speed that was a big issue for me if not Audi who viewed it as routine. The second time it happened was on a road trip and our loaner was a Q7--family fell in love, much more space. Third row is nice to know you have but honestly just the 2 rows allows plenty of room not only for my car seats but legit space for 5 people and lots of cargo room. Our loaner was 3.0 engine which is great--we bought the 2.0. I dont regret it, it was 6K cheaper, but it does not perform as well in the larger car as it did in the Q5 or my old GTI for that matter... Still does fine but not wow power. Also if gas mileage is a consideration the Q5 kills it 24/31 compared to 17/25 in my experience... This surprised me and hope it improves when we stop using A/C and the start/stop at redlights kicks in. I believe the Q7 has full-time AWD while the Q5 may be on-demand. That and weight cause the dramatic MPG differences for same engine.

BL: I love both cars, both fit the need we use/used them for. The Q7 is a great car and for its size handles very nicely. The family is much more comfortable in it and that was determining factor for me. If it was just me driving, I would driven the Q5 into the ground. I had a Navarra Blue model and just loved that color. We got the 7 in Samurai Grey, which for me was the best of a really boring lineup of colors...
Good Luck!
Great write-up - glad for your insight into the 2.0 vs. 3.0 Q7. I planned to test drive them both but good to hear rear-world experience.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alex123
I have a hitch mount bike rack (I believe it is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Road-Max-RMBR...KFSFD5TGGFM146) and it works really well. I didn't try to put bike inside and I think it will be a bad idea in both cars anyway if you have someone else sitting on the 2nd row unless you find a way to secure the bike from falling over. Plus, putting the bikes on the hitch mount rack is easier for me.
In all my previous vehicles I've been able to lay it on the side with the front wheel removed. I have a hitch rack and roof racks, but carrying it inside is nice during the day so I can lock it up more securely or keep it out of the elements.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if you don't need the 3rd row, as has been mentioned here, even the 2nd row is very tight with a tall person in the front. That's one of the main reasons I didn't even consider the Q5. The Q7 is a very comfortable ride for driver and passengers.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Louie
Even if you don't need the 3rd row, as has been mentioned here, even the 2nd row is very tight with a tall person in the front. That's one of the main reasons I didn't even consider the Q5. The Q7 is a very comfortable ride for driver and passengers.
Thanks for the input. Of course my wife is 5'4" and I'm 5'7" so no one tall is going to be sitting up front on a regular basis. At this point I'm really leaning towards the Q7 just because I can't see myself wishing I had less room later on, but can definitely see myself wanting more room if I got the Q5. I'm hopefully going to keep this car for 6 to 7 years, because historically I'm bad about just keeping something for a couple.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default We have both

So we have a 2015 Q5 TDI and I have a 2018 Q7 Prestige.

Obviously not a fair comparison since our Q5 is the old model.

My wife much prefers the Q5 and I much prefer the Q7.

For her the Q7 is just too big especially for parking and she prefers the zipiness and torque on the Q5. It does feel more nimble than the Q7.

The big difference for me is that the Q7 is way more refined and comfortable and the tech is just so much better.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
While I think the Q7 is not the right car for one person to be driving around every day(...)
Darn it, now I don't like my ride anymore....

The reason why I opted for the Q7 were the features/options available that I couldn't get i.e. on a Q5. Not that I needed the space since I'm basically always driving alone, I just like larger (high tech) vehicles.

Last edited by AudiFanFL; 08-16-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:39 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I asked this same question over on the Q5 forum, but wanted to get this group's thoughts. I'm in the market for a new SUV, and am trying to decide between the Q7 and Q5. I've done a lot of research, so am fairly familiar with the feature (package) differences between the two. I also know it's very subjective on how much space you need.

There's a lot of things I like about the Q5, but am concerned that I may regret not getting something with more space a year or two down the road.

The third row is not a deal-breaker option, as my current vehicle (Tahoe) has a third row and I've used it once this past year.

Are there any things I may not be considering when comparing these two that an owner of a Q7 may be able to point out? Thanks!
Putting everything else aside regarding features, price etc.. IMO the statement above makes me think you should go for the Q7..

I haven't driven a new Q5 only a previous gen so it wouldn't be fair for me to compare the two.. But IME the Q7 (especially in sport) drives like it's a much smaller vehicle. We recently took a 700 mile road trip and averaged 30 mpg at one point, what more could I want from a 5000lb SUV that offers as much space and is as quick as the Q7.

We have it over a year and I love it, I look forward to driving it all the time, something I never said about our previous SUV's..

Last edited by JT4; 08-17-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JT4
Putting everything else aside regarding features, price etc.. IMO the statement above makes me think you should go for the Q7..

I haven't driven a new Q5 only a previous gen so it wouldn't be fair for me to compare the two.. But IME the Q7 (especially in sport) drives like it's a much smaller vehicle. We recently took a 700 mile road trip and averaged 30 mpg at one point, what more could I want from a 5000lb SUV that offers as much space and is as quick as the Q7.

We have it over a year and I love it, I look forward to driving it all the time, something I never said about our previous SUV's..
Yeah the more I think about it I'm really leaning towards the Q7. I'm hoping to get a chance to go test drive one again today - this time I'm going to test drive a 2.0 Q7. Saving that $5K with a 2.0 vs. 3.0 is appealing as long as it doesn't kill the overall enjoyment of the car. Our other car is an Outback, and we test drove the 4 and 6 cylinder models and decided on the 4 and haven't regretted it. Then again I'm assuming the Outback is a little lighter vehicle, so the differences may be more pronounced in the Q7. Also with the Outback, there was a MPG savings with the 4 that made it harder to justify the increased cost of the 6 where that isn't the case with the Q7 (estimated mileage is the same from what I've seen).
Old 08-17-2018, 05:42 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah the more I think about it I'm really leaning towards the Q7. I'm hoping to get a chance to go test drive one again today - this time I'm going to test drive a 2.0 Q7. Saving that $5K with a 2.0 vs. 3.0 is appealing as long as it doesn't kill the overall enjoyment of the car. Our other car is an Outback, and we test drove the 4 and 6 cylinder models and decided on the 4 and haven't regretted it. Then again I'm assuming the Outback is a little lighter vehicle, so the differences may be more pronounced in the Q7. Also with the Outback, there was a MPG savings with the 4 that made it harder to justify the increased cost of the 6 where that isn't the case with the Q7 (estimated mileage is the same from what I've seen).
There is nothing wrong with the 2.0 and I am sure that with each year Audi will continue to fine tune it, but just make sure you give it a thorough test drive.. I have yet to read on the forum of someone buying a 3.0 and regretting not getting the 2.0.. Yet there are a handful of people that have regretted not getting the 3.0 after owning the 2.0 for a little while.

I initially test drove a 2.0 and was pleasantly surprised on how well I felt it moved the Q7.. I still wasn't sure so approx 2 weeks later I test drove it again and was about to work on a deal when my wife insisted I drive a 3.0.. Knowing how I am her feeling was I was going to eventually regret not getting the 3.0, and if I ever drove a loaner with the 3.0 she was never going to hear the end of it..

I was a little reluctant because the salesman warned us "if you drive the 3.0 you'll buy the 3.0", and at the time all I was seeing was the add'l savings.. Well he was right.. Drove the 2.0 and 3.0 back to back and within 5 mins of driving I could feel how much more refined the 3.0 made the Q7 feel..

Drove it approx 30 mins and there was less noise and it just felt better overall, and then when you put your foot down IMO there is no comparison. The 3.0 feels smoother and as expected moves the Q7 with a lot less effort..

Drove back to the dealer and bought the 3.0 that day..

Quick Reply: Q7 vs. Q5