Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 vs X7 vs GLS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the Q8 was going to be more of a "sportback" design without a third row.. Again I could be mistaken...
Thats correct, more a suv coupe type design
Old 04-20-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I so wanted to buy a Q7 to replace our LR4 but the interior space is too small despite the Q7 being 8" longer than the LR4. The problem with the Q7 is the "way-back". Not enough room for our dog and ski gear since the roof slants forward. Taller and boxier LR4 has far more room in the way back. Q7 third row seats are useless for our tall kids, but I am 6'2" and can sit comfortably in the LR4 third row. Of course the LR4 has been replaced by the Discovery 5 which all of us LR4 owners feel is a compromise in many areas. But it does have more interior space than a Q7 and may be worth a look if you never owned an LR4.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta get a roof rack..
Old 04-20-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
For larger SUVs, like the GLS and LX570-style ones, others have mentioned the new Navigator. It's getting a ton of love and while I haven't sat in one, the reviews I've read are really gushing about the interior. The Navigator is a big enough threat that Cadillac has started discounting Escalades. Huge incentives. But that's an aging design, if my memory serves correctly, and is due for a refresh in the next few years. It's a big reason the Navigator is a popular option now, because it's brand spanking new.

The GLS made Car and Driver's 10 Best list for SUVs. The Q7 did so as well for its segment. Our Q7 replaced the first-ten GX 470 which was much larger, but we didn't need the space anymore. Maybe something the size of a GX is what you're looking for, instead of the larger LX/GLS/etc.

As for the X7, here are some spy shots of in the interior and then the exterior in camo https://www.motor1.com/news/238671/b...or-spy-photos/

Nothing on specs yet, but that's roughly what you're looking at or anticipating. We had the GLE and X5 and the current-get GX 460 in mind when shopping but the fuel economy of the Q7 was a big plus. While we aren't trying to milk every MPG out of our cars, 16 from the GX pales in comparison to the Q7's 18ish. It might have even been lower than 16 and more like 14. I think that's what you can expect from a GLS and similar sized car, but I haven't looked it up for sure. But the decrease in size isn't really missed by us from the GX to the Q7. Having kids is different, and three is different from that. I'm not sure how I would handle 3 kids when car buying and what set up would work best.

But my hunch is the X7 is shooting for the GLS in size. But at the same time, the spy shots make it seem more like a GX-sized vehicle, which is still bigger than the Q7. But if you're thinking of switching cars for size, might as well go big or go home. The GLS seems to be a good choice and MB is for sure a solid brand once you're that high up the model range in reliability and features. The GLS, Navigator, and Escalade are all out now. The Q8 or X9 or whatever else is in the rumor mill for car blogs hasn't even been unveiled yet, let out for sale. Depending on when your time with your Q7 is up, it may be best to look at what's already out instead of waiting around. Residual isn't getting any higher the more you wait.
On X7,
The center console looks like plane cockpit.
Also, looking at the steering wheel, It looks like we might finally get active steering and assisted driving on BMW

OP, if you are not in a hurry, I would wait and see what BMW does with new X5's 3rd row in addition to X7 then decide.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw the X7 at the LA Auto Show and thought it was pretty cool. BMW's usually handle really well, and with the available Turbo V8 it should be a rocket !! I would guess that the X7 is longer than the Q7's 199 inches. He are some pictures of the X7

https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/x7

https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...vTZ1FULKdXy_M:
Old 04-20-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smacky
For larger SUVs, like the GLS and LX570-style ones, others have mentioned the new Navigator. It's getting a ton of love and while I haven't sat in one, the reviews I've read are really gushing about the interior. The Navigator is a big enough threat that Cadillac has started discounting Escalades. Huge incentives. But that's an aging design, if my memory serves correctly, and is due for a refresh in the next few years. It's a big reason the Navigator is a popular option now, because it's brand spanking new.

The GLS made Car and Driver's 10 Best list for SUVs. The Q7 did so as well for its segment. Our Q7 replaced the first-ten GX 470 which was much larger, but we didn't need the space anymore. Maybe something the size of a GX is what you're looking for, instead of the larger LX/GLS/etc.

As for the X7, here are some spy shots of in the interior and then the exterior in camo https://www.motor1.com/news/238671/b...or-spy-photos/

Nothing on specs yet, but that's roughly what you're looking at or anticipating. We had the GLE and X5 and the current-get GX 460 in mind when shopping but the fuel economy of the Q7 was a big plus. While we aren't trying to milk every MPG out of our cars, 16 from the GX pales in comparison to the Q7's 18ish. It might have even been lower than 16 and more like 14. I think that's what you can expect from a GLS and similar sized car, but I haven't looked it up for sure. But the decrease in size isn't really missed by us from the GX to the Q7. Having kids is different, and three is different from that. I'm not sure how I would handle 3 kids when car buying and what set up would work best.

But my hunch is the X7 is shooting for the GLS in size. But at the same time, the spy shots make it seem more like a GX-sized vehicle, which is still bigger than the Q7. But if you're thinking of switching cars for size, might as well go big or go home. The GLS seems to be a good choice and MB is for sure a solid brand once you're that high up the model range in reliability and features. The GLS, Navigator, and Escalade are all out now. The Q8 or X9 or whatever else is in the rumor mill for car blogs hasn't even been unveiled yet, let out for sale. Depending on when your time with your Q7 is up, it may be best to look at what's already out instead of waiting around. Residual isn't getting any higher the more you wait.
I rented a 2018 GX460 this week until the Q7 comes in for my wife. It's only 192 inches long vs. the Q7's 199 Inches. Not liking it at all !! Very outdated. Really slow for a V8 and really just a glorified 4 Runner which it's based on. You can feel just how "Tippy" it is. No wonder Lexus recalled them a few years ago for being prone to tip over. They adjusted the software, but I can just picture a "soccer mom" trying to avoid something and this thing just rolling over.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...abel/index.htm
Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiSS
I rented a 2018 GX460 this week until the Q7 comes in for my wife. It's only 192 inches long vs. the Q7's 199 Inches. Not liking it at all !! Very outdated. Really slow for a V8 and really just a glorified 4 Runner which it's based on. You can feel just how "Tippy" it is. No wonder Lexus recalled them a few years ago for being prone to tip over. They adjusted the software, but I can just picture a "soccer mom" trying to avoid something and this thing just rolling over.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...abel/index.htm
They didn't roll over. The stability program wasn't responsive enough to control off throttle oversteer. I did some fairly aggressive avoidance maneuvers on NY highways at fairly high speeds and was actually very surprised on how well it performed for what seemed like a very tipsy SUV. But everything else you said about it, spot on.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gani
I love my Q7 totally.but i have 3 kids and the Q7, although huge, is too small for us. the upcoming X7 and GLS seem like a better fit. I would really hate to say goodbye to audi. they did a great job with the Q7....does anyone know if audi plans to create anything bigger than Q7. When is the Q9 due? and what are your thoughts on X7 and GLS that are out soon?
I have 4 boys and have a Q7, I had an Armada that sat 8, I do miss the room, but I bought a large roof rack to accommodate our stuff. We travel and are active as well with my boys activities. The rack is made by Tyger.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I got the rack to accomodate the lack of space.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the GX460 isn’t based off the 4 Runner either.

Quick Reply: Q7 vs X7 vs GLS