Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Remote Start? Use existing remote or new viper remote?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote Start? Use existing remote or new viper remote?

So I’m getting a Viper remote start installed on Friday and I’m tossed between using factory remote to start Q7 which doesn’t seem to have much range or have 2 new viper remotes that have 8000’ range. Anyone using factory remotes to start your Q7? How do you like the range? Really don’t want extra remotes but like to have the range? Any advice please share. Thanks
Old 12-24-2019, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TucsonQ7
So I’m getting a Viper remote start installed on Friday and I’m tossed between using factory remote to start Q7 which doesn’t seem to have much range or have 2 new viper remotes that have 8000’ range. Anyone using factory remotes to start your Q7? How do you like the range? Really don’t want extra remotes but like to have the range? Any advice please share. Thanks
Don't need an extra remote with Viper SmartStart app - use the cell phone to start it (as long as thevcar is in cell network range, can start it from almost anywhere). I use the app nearly exclusively as a remote starter.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree: get the Viper Smart Start system. I had the Viper key fob based system in my previous Q7 and the cellphone-based Smart Start in my current one. I much prefer the Smart Start. The downside is that there's a subscription cost. But it's really not that expensive. And for a slightly higher subscription fee, you get GPS functionality (geofence, speed limit, etc). If you have or will discontinue Audi's overpriced Audi Connect Prime service, this will replace those aspects of that service.
The following users liked this post:
bkafrick (01-04-2020)
Old 12-24-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Viper 5806 installed and went with the Viper remotes. Range is excellent; 8000’ on the viper vs. maybe 100’ on the factory key fob. IMO the extremely limited range of the factory key fob would make remote start almost pointless as you’d need to be so close to the Q7 that you might as well start it up yourself and start driving. I often use it when I’m on the ski lift or when I’m in my office building, and there’s no way the factory remote could reach even if it had a clear line of sight and didn’t have to penetrate through the building

As for Viper Smart Start, I’ve had the system installed on another vehicle for 1.5yrs and can not recommend it. It’s nice when it works as you can control from your phone vs carrying another fob, but for me it seems like the system has deteriorated over time and now works maybe half the time (even though the app shows the vehicle has a few bars of connectivity). Also the system shuts the engine off as soon as you open the door (which is a major annoyance to me) vs the 5806 which shuts the engine off only if you touch the brake pedal w/o the factory fob on you. Adding insult is the subscription fee (I think I paid around $200 for three years).
Old 12-24-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wukaizen
Also the system shuts the engine off as soon as you open the door (which is a major annoyance to me) vs the 5806 which shuts the engine off only if you touch the brake pedal w/o the factory fob on you. Adding insult is the subscription fee (I think I paid around $200 for three years).
My engine is still running when I open the door (but have to use the factory keyfob to open the door - security feature) and the car only would shut itself off if more than 15 minutes elapsed since the car was started (this is the same with my Compustar remote start on my other car so it doesn't run continuously). I very rarely had the car not start when there was reception with Smart Start - but it does happen, and maybe 5% of the time but not nearly close to 1/2 the time. And - unlike the POS MyAudi app, the car locator / geofencing actually works with Viper - whereas with MyAudi the locator icon disappears due to many service outages Audi seems unable to fix. The biggest issue for me was the installation cost of Viper and having to sacrifice my 2nd key - and it was still worth it IMO.

Last edited by dohturdima; 12-24-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just need the range of viper remotes but don’t like if the smart application shuts the car off once you open the doors.. my wife Lexus does that abc it’s stupid! I wish factory remotes had range really don’t want 2 key fobs on my keys ring but the viper remotes are thin.. don’t like to have to pay a yearly fee just to do application. I’m hoping I’ll be ok with range 1500ft
Old 12-24-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I just need the range of viper remotes but don’t like if the smart application shuts the car off once you open the doors.. my wife Lexus does that abc it’s stupid! I wish factory remotes had range really don’t want 2 key fobs on my keys ring but the viper remotes are thin.. don’t like to have to pay a yearly fee just to do application. I’m hoping I’ll be ok with range 1500ft
Per dohturdima, it sounds like the Viper smart start system behaves differently on Audi’s than Toyota/Lexus vehicles, and doesn’t shut the engine off upon entering the vehicle. Though I would still go with the 5806 given the range and reliability I’ve experienced; it perfectly suits my needs, and my only complaint is having to carry an extra key fob and that’s pretty minor
Old 12-24-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wukaizen
Per dohturdima, it sounds like the Viper smart start system behaves differently on Audi’s than Toyota/Lexus vehicles, and doesn’t shut the engine off upon entering the vehicle. Though I would still go with the 5806 given the range and reliability I’ve experienced; it perfectly suits my needs, and my only complaint is having to carry an extra key fob and that’s pretty minor
I carry an extra for for my Compustar remote start but decided not to do this for the Q7, having the option of being remote-less and adding the other Smart Start features. I agree that carrying an extra remote isn't a big deal and if there is an option to activate Smart Start later (don't know if it's possible on every Viper verison or just some). I think Smart Start was offered with a trial of 30 days with my remote start package, so if it's still the case can test it out as well.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Can you do smart start from your watch? I have an Apple Watch and start both my Grand Cherokee and my Suburban from my watch because I also have a job where no phones working nights at a hospital.

Last edited by sickk23; 12-24-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sickk23
Can you do smart start from your watch? I have an Apple Watch and start both my Grand Cherokee and my Suburban from my watch because I also have a job where no phones working nights at a hospital.
Yes, there is an Apple watch app:
The following users liked this post:
sickk23 (12-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Remote Start? Use existing remote or new viper remote?