Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Rims, Run-Flat tires, conventional tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rims, Run-Flat tires, conventional tires

I believe that I have to order a new Q7 with run-flat tires. If that is the case and I decide to replace them in time with conventional tires, will conventional tires fit on the same rims or does one have to purchase other rims for the conventional tires? I assume that the same rims would work for both, but ya' never know...

Thanks
Old 12-22-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can use the same rim.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdkrone
I believe that I have to order a new Q7 with run-flat tires. If that is the case and I decide to replace them in time with conventional tires, will conventional tires fit on the same rims or does one have to purchase other rims for the conventional tires? I assume that the same rims would work for both, but ya' never know...

Thanks
Same rims. That's what I'll do: getting conventional when the RF wears out.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

There's a no charge non-run flat option on the order sheet, which is what I opted for on mine. That was for the 19" tires. I'm not sure that option exists for the 20", but it might.

EDIT: I misspoke, 19" non-runflats are standard, runflats are a no cost option. 20" are only runflat.

Last edited by raywbo; 12-22-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Why Conventionals?

Excuse my ignorance here, but if there is no spare tire, why would one want conventional tires?
Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Because runflat's are horrible by most accounts and have a higher likelihood of sidewall damage than conventional tires, which will leave you stranded and require being towed. Slime and the compressor - or a plug - can get you rolling again with either. More people tend to ditch the runflats then keep them and there's a reason for that. The only benefit is that you can drive on them after a puncture based pressure loss, but it destroys the tire in the process.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, all, for confirming that I can use the same rims.

sdubnoff, also the price of run-flats is about 2x the cost of conventional tires, the ride is rougher, and the mileage is less. Other than that, run-flats are great... ;-)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As stated above run flats are not great (have them on my MB S550 Coupe)...there's no run flats with the 21" wheel option and the ride great even w/o air suspension.

Last edited by RJC 1; 12-22-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by raywbo
Because runflat's are horrible by most accounts and have a higher likelihood of sidewall damage than conventional tires, which will leave you stranded and require being towed. Slime and the compressor - or a plug - can get you rolling again with either. More people tend to ditch the runflats then keep them and there's a reason for that. The only benefit is that you can drive on them after a puncture based pressure loss, but it destroys the tire in the process.

I feel as though the ride is very similar and think the run flats have an advantage because a regular tire is more likely to leave you stranded than a run flat.

I've had both on my Mercedes "R" classes and the rides were very close. I would hate to be out and have a flat without a spare. I sure wouldn't carry a spare either everytime I go on the highway.

Yes - I'm sure the costs are higher, but looking at Tire Rack, the prices of the same tire has a wide range.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I have run flats on my BMW, and the ride is ok. However, I fear having a flat on a long road trip. It could ruin your day, week, vacation....

I tried to order the Q with a space saver spare, but not possible

Quick Reply: Rims, Run-Flat tires, conventional tires