Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Steering wheel slow to return

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering wheel slow to return

doesnt feel like there is exactly a centre of the steering position as the steering wheel never fully returns to centre after a turn,

also so it is slow to returns at times, have to manually turn steering wheel straight after a turn,

anyone ekse experiencing this,???
Old 10-29-2018, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by whyman
have to manually turn steering wheel straight after a turn,

While there is always some return by the wheel itself, I dont think I have completely let my hands go off the steering wheel to see if it will get me back in a straight line on its own. I may have to check this out and see what happens
Old 10-29-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

doesnt feel like there is exactly a centre of the steering position as the steering wheel never fully returns to centre after a turn,

also so it is slow to returns at times, have to manually turn steering wheel straight after a turn,

What vehicle are you comparing it to? Q7 has wide tires, and it's a heavy vehicle. I get mine to return to center (not completely but enough) when I get out of my tight parking spot and hit the gas. The trick is to give enough acceleration that it helps return wheel to center position.
I never had a problem big enough to complain about this issue. Also check your tire pressure.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
What vehicle are you comparing it to? Q7 has wide tires, and it's a heavy vehicle. I get mine to return to center (not completely but enough) when I get out of my tight parking spot and hit the gas. The trick is to give enough acceleration that it helps return wheel to center position.
I never had a problem big enough to complain about this issue. Also check your tire pressure.
You may also want to check custom driving settings in the MMI, to see if the steering setting can be adjusted to loosen the steering effort.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you change tires recently or this is the way the new car behaves?

I'm 99% sure it's related to tires. I ran through enough tires (on same vehicles) to know that some tires tend to track the direct and reluctant to go back to the exact center point. Normally speaking, A/S tires are more likely to do this than performance oriented ones. This is not an issue or anything to worry about.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Mine returns to center without any prompting, even at slow speeds.