Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

AT&T Hotspot during trial period

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT&T Hotspot during trial period

Hello all,

I tried searching across the entire forum and found some bits and pieces, but didn't really find the complete answer to my question.

Q #1:
We just took possession of our 2017 Q7 Prestige earlier this week. When the dealer was taking my wife through all the features, he made a comment that the hotspot data is unlimited during the 6 month trial period. I have a hard time believe that it is unlimited, but have not been able to confirm either way.

Q #2:
Once the hotspot & Audi connect expire in 6 months, I'm looking for options of extending the hotspot, but the 30 month pricing seems a little steep. I've searched numerous threads, but some don't seem applicable since the information is getting dated/old. For the Q7, I believe I saw something says that the car's ability to recognize other SIM cards is deactivated. Does this align with other people's findings? If so, is there a workaround? I'm not a current AT&T subscriber.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 More question to pile on:
I'm currently not an AT&T Subscriber but i do get 20% off through my employer.
Does anyone else get a discount and could it be applied to this service?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6 month trial is in fact UNLIMITED data.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't have my Q7 yet but I'm curious.. once the trial period is over, is there an easy way to check how much hotspot data is remaining via a mobile app or perhaps the MMI menu?

I doubt there are any US-spec Q7 owners on here that have had theirs long enough to be past the 6-month trial period, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larryV
I don't have my Q7 yet but I'm curious.. once the trial period is over, is there an easy way to check how much hotspot data is remaining via a mobile app or perhaps the MMI menu?

I doubt there are any US-spec Q7 owners on here that have had theirs long enough to be past the 6-month trial period, but figured I'd ask anyway.
You can check the My Audi website and it tells you how much data you have used. I still have not gotten the mobile app to work since I bought the car in January. I have not seen anything on the MMI that display it either. Could be somewhere
Old 04-28-2016, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

The MMI has a counter to data used but it has to be reset manually and does not reflect what AT&T thinks you used. I also have to check if the data not used for WiFi clients is counted there or if it's just WiFi clients usage.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

This will be the burning question once people start coming off their trial periods. Can you (still) pay the AT&T $10/month to add the car to your Share Plan and still get Audi Connect services (especially traffic). And not have to pay the ridiculous $25/mo (on a 30 mo plan) just for traffic info and a few other low-data-usage features.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Likely not. Audi states "Note: An Audi connect® Connect Services plan is required to purchase a Wi-Fi™ hotspot plan.", without that all the "licensed" features (Google Earth, Search, Traffic, etc.) will stop working. My understanding is that you will need to pay either $199 for 6 months or $750 for 30 months for Audi Connect with each of the two including 6GB of WiFi client data. If you need more WiFi client data the there are several plans from $10 (add to your AT&T plan).

The option of tethering the MMI to a Smartphone togged WiFi client data doesn't seem to exist in any car even though it's mentioned in the manual (in the A4 at least) and the option to use a personal data SIM for WiFi clients has been disabled (still exists in ROW) to help AT&T make more profit.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Likely not. Audi states "Note: An Audi connect® Connect Services plan is required to purchase a Wi-Fi™ hotspot plan.", without that all the "licensed" features (Google Earth, Search, Traffic, etc.) will stop working. My understanding is that you will need to pay either $199 for 6 months or $750 for 30 months for Audi Connect with each of the two including 6GB of WiFi client data. If you need more WiFi client data the there are several plans from $10 (add to your AT&T plan).

The option of tethering the MMI to a Smartphone togged WiFi client data doesn't seem to exist in any car even though it's mentioned in the manual (in the A4 at least) and the option to use a personal data SIM for WiFi clients has been disabled (still exists in ROW) to help AT&T make more profit.
That stinks!
Sounds like a monopoly / racketeering scam.

You can't replace the chip/mmc/sim card with your own ???
Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
That stinks!
Sounds like a monopoly / racketeering scam.

You can't replace the chip/mmc/sim card with your own ???
Nobody got a personal data SIM working in the MIB2 so far, or at least did nobody post about this yet. And I also think it's greedy to disable this option and force people to use the subscription that Audi offers.

Quick Reply: AT&T Hotspot during trial period