Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Towing and Manufacturer Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Towing and Manufacturer Warranty!

So I spoke to Airstream today and they told me the problem with the Audi Q7 or Q8 is that they don’t recommend (allow) for a weight distribution hitch (WDH) and if we do get an Audi it will
likely void the manufacturer warranty.

I have already heard from many on how this issue is due to in Germany they don’t like large and heavy travel trailers and they haven’t really either tested (maybe) WDH?

If you have towed, did you use a WDH? Did you discuss with Audi? Are you just willing to take the risk that it might have negative impact to your vehicle?

What we will be towing is under the weight of what either the Q7 or Q8 can tow but we would likely want to use a WDH as it so highly recommended.

I would like to hear your thoughts about this and your experience with towing, WDH, and warranties.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

There are lots of threads with discussions and good information on this very topic. I have towed with Q7 and although I used WDH on previous vehicle I don't on this. Short answer is: Don't do it or you risk ripping off the hitch from your vehicle! as simple as that. Don't listen to RV dealers. They don't know specifics of vehicles and many of them tell you BS. Look at the manual of your vehicle.
Plus, you don't need WDH if your weight is distributed properly (have around 12% or more of the weight on the tongue.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
There are lots of threads with discussions and good information on this very topic. I have towed with Q7 and although I used WDH on previous vehicle I don't on this. Short answer is: Don't do it or you risk ripping off the hitch from your vehicle! as simple as that. Don't listen to RV dealers. They don't know specifics of vehicles and many of them tell you BS. Look at the manual of your vehicle.
Plus, you don't need WDH if your weight is distributed properly (have around 12% or more of the weight on the tongue.
thanks! I thought I got the “right” Airstream as it has a low tongue weight but I guess they say the problem with the lower tongue weight is it has a tendency to sway more? I didn’t hear I could load stuff under the bed (front) of the airstream to try to have the weight distributed best.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

If the tongue weight is too low compared to the weight of the trailer you get too much sway. Also, note that WDH is to help with too much tongue weight (as it moves the downward pressure at the tongue to the front axle of the car and the axle of the trailer). So if you have too low tongue weight WDH is going to make it even worse.
Also, note that almost *all* trailer numbers are off (some way off!). So the tongue weight might be actually much more than they say (does it count the weight of the battery, LP tank, etc etc)?
Also, with Q7, the requirement for the hitch ball is very specific. I forgot the exact number, but the OEM ball of Q7 is supposed to have a distance of 6.3" (or close to that) from the tip of the ball to the receiver pin. It's very hard to find a receiver of that spec with a 2 5/16" ball (which is the typical size you need for a travel trailer). If you use longer/taller receiver then you have to take that extra distance into account as it puts more torque on the hitch and very likely you have to reduce the hitch carrying capacity (e.g. if the distance of the ball is 20% longer than the spec then you probably should not exceed more than 80% of hitch capacity of 770lb).
One other factor to keep in mind is the cargo carrying load of Q7 (which is somewhere between 1300-1400lb I think) will have to be reduced by the amount you are loading on hitch. So if you are towing a trailer with 600lb on the ball then your total load inside the Q7 (including people/cargo) should be no more than 6-700lb.
Finally, as a rulle of thumb I try to stay 20% below the capacity of towing capacity. I don't want to work at the limits and put too much pressure on the vehicle.