Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tune check in - Who tuned their Q7 4M 3.0T?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tune check in - Who tuned their Q7 4M 3.0T?

Please share who’s tune you are using, what you like about it and what you don’t like.

For both ECU and TCU.

I did search and didn’t find much info, let’s get it off Facebook and have it archived in a help and easy to find manner!

thanks,
Aaron
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbotalon1g:
angrycatmeowmeow (03-28-2023), Irvin Fitzgerald (03-28-2023)
Old 03-27-2023, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default APR.. 💯

I’ve had an APR Stage 1 tune for almost a year now and it’s been nothing short of awesome.. everything I was looking for and a little more. I’ve heard many say you can’t notice it much in the lower end, but I certainly can. I did not get a TCU tune yet as I rarely if ever shift past the original redline of 6500. Easily the best bang for the buck. 👍🏼
The following users liked this post:
CottonMcKnight (11-15-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 116 Likes on 93 Posts

APR Stage 1 for multiple years now. No issues whatsoever. I had it installed by a local tuner I found off the APR website. There are times I think....geesh this car wouldn't be nearly as fun without this tune.
Stop thinking and be like Mike- just do it!
teekay0527 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 02:58 AM
546AWHP/ 626AWTQ 4M.5

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 2021 Q7 Stage 3 custom dyno tune w/ Stage 1 TCU tune. This may not help anyone unless you're in the Atlanta GA area. For those who are, go see Solo Motorsports Norcross GA! 683HP 546AWHP/ 626AWTQ.

Last edited by Irvin Fitzgerald; 03-28-2023 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I used Eagletunning. the guy works out of Hartford Ct, he comes to you. so far very happy. pushing 400HP, stage1 750$
Old 03-28-2023, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,204 Likes on 937 Posts

I used APR on my last car with a 91 octane stage 1 tune and was really happy. just been laying low with the newer q7 and haven't felt the need to throw software at it yet but that is always subject to change.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

scheduled to get APR stage 1 93 octane tune the day after my warranty expires next month. Will also be installing the roc-euro intake at the same time for a little added whine to go with the BMC filter i added a couple weeks ago.
i've researched this a bit and everyone who has the apr stage 1 tune says you can't beat it for the money. however, if you don't get a tcu tune to raise the rev limiter to 7200 you won't get the full 458 as claimed on APR's website. going by their graph, looks like you'll be at about ~420hp at 6200. good enough for me

@mhoran89 i've read a bunch of your posts on the subject. is the car in your sig the new one or have you moved up to the 2020+ turbo?
keg97 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BCK SQ5
scheduled to get APR stage 1 93 octane tune the day after my warranty expires next month. Will also be installing the roc-euro intake at the same time for a little added whine to go with the BMC filter i added a couple weeks ago.
i've researched this a bit and everyone who has the apr stage 1 tune says you can't beat it for the money. however, if you don't get a tcu tune to raise the rev limiter to 7200 you won't get the full 458 as claimed on APR's website. going by their graph, looks like you'll be at about ~420hp at 6200. good enough for me

@mhoran89 i've read a bunch of your posts on the subject. is the car in your sig the new one or have you moved up to the 2020+ turbo?
I had a 2017 (supercharged) 3.0T and ditched it for a more well equipped 2018 (supercharged) 3.0T with virtually no miles. I have driven the new ones but no desire and I do like my scroll wheel. the touch screens are way cooler and more user friendly with apple car play, however the hvac and whatnot requires you to take your eyes off the road to play with the screens.

I am contemplating throwing a 91 octane stage 1 APR tune on my 2018 3.0T Q7 this summer. no reason to do anything more or also tune the TCU as it is a daily driver. I change the oil every 5K and that's about it. wouldn't do anything differently after I tune it either. I have been out of warranty for many months on this newest used one so no worries there other than voiding the E1E FEW which is good for 8 years and 80k miles. the only thing I would be hesitant about would be the radiator shutter motor failing and having to pay that out of pocket due to being tuned, but that wouldn't be the first time I have done that HAHA.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

@mhoran89 you're not the first person i've seen on the forums who has upgraded from a sparsely optioned '17 to a more loaded '18 or '19. bodes well for these vehicles

just read through the 'drive system malfunction' thread you were heavily involved in and it honestly makes me second guess getting a tune now :| i'm not so worried about the tune hurting the engine, just that if there ever were to pop up an issue that should be covered through extended warranty or E1E FEW i'd be SOL. Not sure adding a few ponies to the family hauler is worth the risk
Old 03-30-2023, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BCK SQ5
@mhoran89 you're not the first person i've seen on the forums who has upgraded from a sparsely optioned '17 to a more loaded '18 or '19. bodes well for these vehicles

just read through the 'drive system malfunction' thread you were heavily involved in and it honestly makes me second guess getting a tune now :| i'm not so worried about the tune hurting the engine, just that if there ever were to pop up an issue that should be covered through extended warranty or E1E FEW i'd be SOL. Not sure adding a few ponies to the family hauler is worth the risk
It's a $1300 risk I would be willing to take that I took the first time. I have tuned 4 cars under warranty and never regretted tuning any of them. I don't think an extended warranty would be affected if you never told them the car was tuned, but that is for you to find out and for me to never know. I am not into extended warranties as I have a great indy mechanic that would take care of things for me if I got in a pinch. I also traditionally do work like brakes myself and/or have friends who can help now that I don't have a garage but still have all the tools. LOL.

My first Q7, the '17 was heavily optioned. It had nearly everything including driver assist, the adaptive chassis package with 4WS and air ride, and the towing package. The only things to my knowledge (other than audi exclusive interior) that it did not have was soft close doors, night vision, the luxury package (seats and more leather/alcantara), and the B&O sound system. so it was already equipped in the top couple % of all Q7s ever made. it also did not have the black optics, but to be honest I don't consider that a package because it adds no features and is strictly an appearance based thing.

my last one had 80K and this one I found in PA was an audi executive car delivered straight to HQ and was never sold through a dealer with 7,4XX miles on it so I jumped on it.

I might just tune mine this summer, we will see how things go. to be honest the MPG I get with better octane fuel is much better but a lot of the times in the winter I feed the car 89 or 87 if I have a half tank of 91 in it. The car never complains especially in super cold winters up here. the only limiting factor is you really should put nothing lower than the octane the tune is designed for (which means better MPGs anyway, and not because of the tune but because of the efficiency of the engine working on higher quality gasoline).

let us know what you do.

Quick Reply: Tune check in - Who tuned their Q7 4M 3.0T?