Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

UK: Higher oil consumption for new Q7 diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK: Higher oil consumption for new Q7 diesel?

Hi, I bought my Q7 S Line 45 TDI new last year. So far only clocked over 4000 miles. Got the first warning light on for 1qt oil top up when it was around 2000 miles and I was told by the dealer nothing to worry about with a top up done. Yesterday the light came on again. Called up the dealer this morning who claimed it was normal for a brand new car to have higher oil consumption in the first year. As it stands, it's about 1qt per 2000 miles. Is it normal or is it something I should worry about? Thanks
Old 06-05-2023, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,204 Likes on 937 Posts

on a brand new car there might be something wrong. I would bet a faulty PCV valve over a piston ring issue. I would go back to the dealer and request they heavily document the out of ordinary oil consumption issue and do a oil consumption investigation.

maybe the car was filled with the wrong weight oil from the start? have you considered asking your dealer for an oil change on the house to see if it remedies anything? best of luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by duzzar
Hi, I bought my Q7 S Line 45 TDI new last year. So far only clocked over 4000 miles. Got the first warning light on for 1qt oil top up when it was around 2000 miles and I was told by the dealer nothing to worry about with a top up done. Yesterday the light came on again. Called up the dealer this morning who claimed it was normal for a brand new car to have higher oil consumption in the first year. As it stands, it's about 1qt per 2000 miles. Is it normal or is it something I should worry about? Thanks
Experiencing oil consumption in a new car can be a concern, but it's important to understand that some level of oil consumption is considered normal for certain engines. While each car and engine is different, an oil consumption rate of 1 quart per 2000 miles is generally within an acceptable range for modern vehicles. During the break-in period, it's not uncommon for engines to consume slightly more oil as the components settle and wear in. Additionally, factors such as driving style, engine load, and environmental conditions can also influence oil consumption. However, it's always a good idea to monitor the oil consumption closely and document any significant changes or persistent issues. If the oil consumption continues to increase or if you notice other symptoms such as excessive smoke from the exhaust, loss of power, or unusual noises, it would be advisable to have the car inspected by a qualified mechanic or contact your dealer for further investigation. Regularly checking the oil level and topping up as necessary is important to ensure proper lubrication and prevent engine damage. If you have concerns or doubts, don't hesitate to seek a second opinion or consult with a trusted automotive professional who can provide specific advice based on your vehicle's make, model, and engine characteristics.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, I have a new (September 2023) Q7 50 Tdi with the same problem. Low oil warning after 2250 miles. Dealer added a litre but I checked again last night and it's getting low agian after only 800 miles. I sent them an email with screen shots last night and await a reply but was wondering if you made any progress with your dealer or whether the consumption improved over time?
Engine plate says it has VW 504/507 0W-30 oil although I hear that this has been a 2023 spec change from 5W-30. Anyone have any info on this and whetther it affects oil consuption at all?