Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

VCDS mods on 2017 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickObe
One mod I'd really like to see is the ability to use the touchpad number buttons 1 through 8 for Nav destinations, phone numbers, and MMI setting pages. This is something that apparently is enabled in Europe but locked out in the US for some reason.
RickObe

You sure you cant do this already? Can you store radio stations already?

If so, go to your Nav screen and scroll down to a recent destination you had in your Sat Nav. The buttons will store from the recent destinations. Find one, scroll to it, then hold the button down on the touchpad. It should then store it.

Same goes for telephone. Scroll down through last call list and find the number you want to store. Hold relevant button on touchpad down to store it.

Let me know if that works or not.

You can't store MMI Setting "screens" on the touchpad buttons sadly. I'm in the UK and its not possible, we spent ages trying...

Good luck

Andy
Old 08-25-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by andyhud
RickObe

You sure you cant do this already? Can you store radio stations already?

If so, go to your Nav screen and scroll down to a recent destination you had in your Sat Nav. The buttons will store from the recent destinations. Find one, scroll to it, then hold the button down on the touchpad. It should then store it.

Same goes for telephone. Scroll down through last call list and find the number you want to store. Hold relevant button on touchpad down to store it.

Let me know if that works or not.

You can't store MMI Setting "screens" on the touchpad buttons sadly. I'm in the UK and its not possible, we spent ages trying...

Good luck

Andy
Nope, it doesn't work on US cars. It says you can in the manual, but there's an asterisk that says something like "not available in all markets". When I scroll to a recent nav destination or phone number then hold down a number button, I get a message saying that this item cannot be stored. Radio stations, on the other hand, work as described.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Could this only be available in the updated firmware?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

That really is crazy.. like why wouldnt that be available in all markets.

When I get a chance I'll hunt around the coding.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lookout57
Could this only be available in the updated firmware?
My car (in UK) was built Oct/Nov 2015 and can do it. (for what its worth)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That really is crazy.. like why wouldnt that be available in all markets.

When I get a chance I'll hunt around the coding.
Thanks! I just ordered an OBDeleven, so hopefully I'll be able to fix it one day. Also, I've got mine going in tomorrow for the airbag recall. They said they'd "try" to update the software. We'll see. But if they do, maybe it will fix that plus enable automatic activation of the front prox sensors.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, let us know how it goes RickObe at the dealers

Regarding the other thread and the front Prox sensors, I dont believe "I am wrong" as its enabled on my car and mine was built in Oct 2015. But hey, each to their own with their opinions.

Good luck

Andy
Old 08-26-2016, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Regarding the other thread and the front Prox sensors, I dont believe "I am wrong" as its enabled on my car and mine was built in Oct 2015. But hey, each to their own with their opinions.
Andy
@andyhud If someone said you were wrong, I don't think it was me. From what I can glean from that thread, it seems the automatic front prox sensors may depend on country and, for the US, the date of production.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmike52
Does everyone realize that when you take your car in for servicing, the first thing done is to confirm the integrity of the sw. Any mods will be reset. I confirmed this with the head of the service dept. at Tyson's Audi.

yes but usually most people only want one or two tweaks and once you do it once its easy to repeat .plus the car only goes in every 10k miles now so basically once every 8 mos you may need to tweak the software..secondly I have taken it in a bunch on other audis where some tweaks get wiped and others like needle sweep end up staying..so not everything gets wiped out ..depends what they do .
Old 08-29-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bootnet
yes but usually most people only want one or two tweaks and once you do it once its easy to repeat .plus the car only goes in every 10k miles now so basically once every 8 mos you may need to tweak the software..secondly I have taken it in a bunch on other audis where some tweaks get wiped and others like needle sweep end up staying..so not everything gets wiped out ..depends what they do .
Exactly. Last time I took the RS7 in for routine maintenance service, only some VCDS "mods" got wiped to original values but other stuff like the gear display on the HUD and instrument panel somehow stayed. Never a big deal... takes 5 minutes to hook up the laptop and run VCDS to code it back the way I want it.

Speaking of VCDS, just traded in my old HEX-CAN for a HEX-NET and I'm amazed at how much quicker and more responsive the new interface is. I don't know if it's the HEX-NET or just the Q7's system being quicker, because the last time I used the HEX-CAN on the RS7, it would pause or hang quite often when trying to communicate with the car. Communication between Q7 and HEX-NET seems instantaneous by comparison.

Quick Reply: VCDS mods on 2017 Q7