Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Why are the new Prestige models so hard to find?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are the new Prestige models so hard to find?

Why are the Prestige models so hard to get? What percentage are actually Prestige. Is it just a dealer allotment issue or is it regional or national? How many have made it across the big pond so far? The P+ I drove for 3 months, actually had a higher sticker than the Prestige. So why are there so many P+ available and such a shortage of Prestiges?

I have a friend that wants to go drive a new Q7 Prestige, but none are available in her area. I couldn't find one either when I was looking, so I had to order. It took me 3 months to get mine. I got the Drivers Assist & tow pkg added . I am tickled with mine. She lives a few states away or I would just let her test drive mine.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a bunch in NJ, Not sure where you or your friend are from but they are around. I ordered one this week, November build, the wait is going to drive me nuts.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in February when I first looked at the Q7, my dealer had plenty of P+ loaded up to the same as a Prestige and at the same price as a Prestige. No Prestige models to test drive then and when we finally ordered one at the end of May, they still didn't have any. Even when we ordered the Prestige, they advised us to load up a P+ like a Prestige and kinda acted like we were crazy not to. When I pointed out that the price would be the same and I would short myself several features, they still didn't seem to get it. For some reason they were really pushing a P+ loaded up. Maybe there margin of profit it higher on a P+?
Also when you look on a dealers website if you see a vehicle as being "In transit", it doesn't mean the dealer purchased it. The salesmen told me the system dumps customer orders on the website when it gets shipped and only knows a car was ordered by the dealer regardless if it was a customer reserved.
My dealer hadn't (at the time I made my order) bought a single Prestige and what few they had on the lot in the past were customer orders that they either backed out of or wanted a different configured Q7.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Because P+ leases out better despite a higher MSRP. Where are you located? I have a few Prestiges.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

The markup on a Prestige is the same as other trims and factory options - 7% above invoice price. The dealer pushing the P+ feature adds probably had all P+ trims allocated or on the way.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The markup on a Prestige is the same as other trims and factory options - 7% above invoice price. The dealer pushing the P+ feature adds probably had all P+ trims allocated or on the way.
Audi doesn't allocate trim levels, only models and engine types.

P+ is ordered more by dealers because they have higher residuals for leasing.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend lives in AL and plans to join this forum. She found one in Houston but wasn't willing to drive that far since she is still undecided. I'm a road trip queen, so 400 miles to pick up a new car didn't bother me. I just happened to be at a vet clinic in TX at the time, so I dropped the trailer and drove down to the dealership in the dually. I live below Little Rock and I checked a 500 mile radius when I was originally looking. I used a buyers service to find one but when I got there, it wasn't a Pres, it was a loaded up P+. But the dealer did me right and ordered one in exactly the way I wanted. I had picked it up exactly 3 months later. I'm glad I held out for the Prestige, the difference was worth the wait! It's exactly what I had originally wanted. It is just hard to believe that everyone wants the Prestige but since they are so hard to get, they settle for a loaded P+. I'm just not the type to settle as I want what I want.

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Because P+ leases out better despite a higher MSRP. Where are you located? I have a few Prestiges.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It appears a lot of the "incoming" (non special order) Prestige have been getting sold before reaching dealers lots, either while still at sea in route or in port (at least that is what I experienced in searching the country for mine). So the dealers ordered them, but they are not making to the showroom floor. SYMAWD above would have the best insight being a dealer, but I would think dealers order more P+ then anything due to the lease residuals (as noted) as well as P+ is the happy medium (both $$ and equip) between Premium and Prestige, thus fit the needs of the most buyers.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my Prestige on a stroke of luck. I was going in to buy (technically did with all the paperwork) a P+, but there were some issues with it . They had a customer who had ordered the exact same, but a Prestige and walked away from the deal moments after. There was one other Prestige in inventory and it sold that same day.

To answer your original question, a Prestige can be had cheaper than a similar optioned P+, so why not get the top of the line!