Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Xpel on a white car, yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xpel on a white car, yes or no

I have a glacier white Q7 that just got off the boat. I am thinking of having some kind of protection probably to prevent rock chips on highway. I am concerned about the yellowing of Xpel ultimate .has anyone here had any experience with Xpel on a white car. The car will be garaged at home but will be exposed to elements at work.

It going to be a Highway car for the most part.The Xpel dealer is talking about 10yr warranty but would removing the film damage the paint?

He does Gyeon Quartz Ceramic Coatings but i doubt ceramic coating would protect the car from rock chip damage.I would appreciate some suggestions.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cukoodukoo
I have a glacier white Q7 that just got off the boat. I am thinking of having some kind of protection probably to prevent rock chips on highway. I am concerned about the yellowing of Xpel ultimate .has anyone here had any experience with Xpel on a white car. The car will be garaged at home but will be exposed to elements at work.

It going to be a Highway car for the most part.The Xpel dealer is talking about 10yr warranty but would removing the film damage the paint?

He does Gyeon Quartz Ceramic Coatings but i doubt ceramic coating would protect the car from rock chip damage.I would appreciate some suggestions.
Following, but I remember seeing a youtube video recently that it was the adhesive that yellowed, and they fixed that.

I plan on getting the front half wrapped in Xpel the day I pick the car up, then the back half shortly later.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Xpel on my 12 Lexus GX460, sold it in July 2016 with 55k on it and you couldn't even see it unless you looked for it, no yellowing.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had Xpel ultimate put on my 2018 Glacier White. Did my research and based on that I went with the Xpel. Looks great.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I checked it Xpel, Suntek and STek. After a ton of debate I was initially going to go Suntek, but ended up with Stek's new DynoMat film as the hydrophobic coating was built in and I felt more comfortable with the quality of work the installer did. There was a Xpel shop in town that came highly recommended but at that point the Stek film kinda blew me away.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

My Glacier White 2018 Q7 Prestige should arrive in a few weeks (mid Oct). I never heard of Xpel until I read this post. Is there a consensus here on the forum that the product really protects the car from damage and it is wise purchase?

How much $$$ are we talking about?

Rich
Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is an email from the shop by me that does Xpel. Price ranges from $650 to $3,000. I think if nothing else, door cups should be done. I can't stand those scratches.

The primary film that we use is Xpel ultimate paint protection film. It is a self healing film that comes with a 10 year warranty against any yellowing, cracking, peeling, etc. I would be happy to do a demonstration for you in person of the self healing properties of it if you would like. It is quite amazing. We also carry Xpel Stealth paint protection film which is a satin/matte finish paint protection film. It is great if you are looking to completely cover your vehicle and give it a satin/matte finish while keeping the same color of the vehicle. It is also self healing.
We use Xpel's design program, which has pattern designs for tens of thousands of cars. For your particular vehicle, I have the design patterns for your complete vehicle if you were to choose to completely wrap your car in paint protection film.
Our most popular package is called the Full frontal which provides coverage for the full hood, full front fenders/quarter panels, front bumper, headlights, mirror backs, and door handle cups. That package would be $1199 for your vehicle. We also have several customers that opt for complete coverage on your vehicle which would be around $3300 for your particular vehicle. That would provide paint protection film for all of the painted surfaces on your vehicle.
Additionally, we can provide ceramic coating over the top of the paint protection film for an additional $300 or $700 depending on the paint protection film package you decide to get.
Lastly, we also do what is called a Standard Clearbra, which is a partial hood, partial fenders, front bumper/headlights/mirror backs/door handle cups for $649. The standard Clearbra provides good front impact protection, but over time the delineation from where it is protected and unprotected becomes easier to see, especially on darker vehicles. For that reason, the Full Frontal is our most popular package.
Please feel free to contact us with any other questions that you may have and look forward to speaking to you as your arrival date nears.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rich2parry
My Glacier White 2018 Q7 Prestige should arrive in a few weeks (mid Oct). I never heard of Xpel until I read this post. Is there a consensus here on the forum that the product really protects the car from damage and it is wise purchase?

How much $$$ are we talking about?

Rich
I have Xpel ultimate on my cayman GTS[Blue] and it has saved the car from a nasty road chip for sure.After a couple of months after i bought it I had heard a stone fly over on the free way and hit the car . I checked it After I reached home and there was a ever so minuscule dent on the fender and the film seemed to have saved the paint for sure.I poured some hot water on the film and it seemed to have become smooth again though the dent remained visible upon very close observation.

I have no doubt that the film is protective,just concerned about the yellowing evident on a white car.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lectoid
I think if nothing else, door cups should be done. I can't stand those scratches.
Agree,it drives me nuts too.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, would like to thank everyone for the kind words.

Cukoodukoo,

Congrats on the purchase of your new Audi Q7. To address your concern, you do not have to worry about the film yellowing. We have completely remedied the problem of yellowing film and if it ever does we will replace it. As far as removing the film, It will not damage your paint. The film should be removed by a professional and involves steamers to aid in softening the adhesive on the film. In addition to the steam, having the correct pull angle is crucial as well. If adhesive does indeed get left behind, a little general purpose adhesive remover will do the trick in getting it off. If you have any more questions feel free to let us know.

Quick Reply: Xpel on a white car, yes or no