alluminum subframe bushes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alluminum subframe bushes

I am reluctantly considering running alluminum subframe bushes on my Ur, simply because of availability. I was hoping to have some feedback from the been there done that crowd. Good, bad and otherwise. Just seems the wrong direction for mine, since I am a stocker, but if the harshness level is not too noticable I could be swayed. I am not trying to turn mine into a race-car, just want the trip back in time effect.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have a set of these waiting to go in...

I think if you are only changing the subframe bushings you shouldn't notice too big of a difference. When you start compounding this with delrin in the control arms you will start feelin it.

These cars have a huge amount of driveline slop in them even when things are in good order, using updated components makes the car more enjoyable for me. I went with track density engine/tranny/diff mounts for the blue car and Im thinking that will hold things in place nicely.

I owe ya an email on my progress on my project with the blue car, also want to get by and check yours out.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default I've heard they are no different than stock............harshness wise

also stock bushings are dealer only and very $$$$
Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 AM

Default Re: alluminum subframe bushes

I had a set of these installed for a little while.
Handling was nice, but the ride was harsh. Every time I hit a bump I wondered whether or not I was ripping out the subframe mounting bolts and nuts. Those things were designed to be protected from impact by the rubber mounts.
Unless you only drive smooth roads I'd pass on those things.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've had those in all of my cars.. you would not be able to tell from stock....

Obviously last forever etc. great upgrade.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You sure those were subframe? I've never had harshness issues with alloy bushes in any of my cars.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have them in one of my 4kqs..

I have solid subframe bushings in one of my 4kqs too. Can't feel any diffeance between that and the rubber bushings on my other 4kq.

Now a arm bushings... They make a differance in handling that you can feel. Not so much harsh, as 'crisper'.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if that was the case the rally cars would have rubber subframe bushings

but they're aluminum. I think the issue isn't shock absorption as much as rough ride.

One thing to consider is that the total chasis must be considered when getting a few performance parts. The liklihood of tearing something increases if one part of the chasis or suspension is very rigid while the rest of it is soft and flexible. All that does is increase stress on the parts that are not flexing. Hence the greater inclination towards tearing the frame or bolts when using only rigid subframe bushings and nothing else.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM

Default Yes, subframe

I think they were too solid for Michigan roads.
Just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Default Delrin A arm bushings

I have a set of Delrin A arm bushings on my 90 Coupe Quattro. I can tell you this is a great upgrade. The word to describe it is "crisp". Also check into performance tranny and engine mounts. As far as aluminum sub-frame bushings.....I would think if your driving it on the street your gonna break somthing.

Quick Reply: alluminum subframe bushes