Audi UR-Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sure, Brian works too...Larry owns the place. I won't praise his business practices or necessarily

how well the cars are built when you drive them off the lot, but he certainly seems to have a couple desirable cars around when you want them.

I bought my UrQ from him, you can shoot me an email if you want details.

Brian is the head tech there (read not a used car salesman ;-)
Old 08-07-2005, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heck if you are local and have body work skillz...you wanna hook a brotha up :-) ?

I have some surface rust that I need to get off this thing before it causes an issue, but don't know even where to begin.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If someone finds out, post it. I've been curious about that for a while.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Price range?

Im not even really sure what the range is for these cars, but Im able to go as high as 5,000 initially. And if I need more, I can get a loan. But I am just wanting one that I can drive without having to do any major repairs right off the bat. Originality is my first choice, but if it's updated well, I would have no problems with that at all.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 5k will probably be difficult for one that doesn't need a pretty hefty load of work before being

able to just drive it around as a regular car. Steve has a good statistic that is something to the effect of - as soon as you buy a quattro expect to spend another 2-3k regardless of how much you spent on it to make it 'right'.

For example mine cost me about 9k (i got mine in a trade, but still equates to about the same). and Steve and I spent an afternoon and a few hundred dollars right away, just to fix a couple annoying things. then within about 1.5 weeks, the brakes are gone and the brake fluid is pumping into my power steering resevior and spewing all over. 3grand later, all that stuff is fixed and most of the remaining annoying things are taken care of...and then (thanks to a Larry special) I find that a couple of the spark plug wires are all ripped up, plugs are all fouled, etc...
so now im in for about 13k and it still doesnt always start so nicely, doesn't hold almost any oil pressure when idling after its warm and will eventually require a 20v engine (to the tune of another 15k or so)

honestly, from what I have seen, you gotta really want to own one of these to make it fully 'worth it'. but that being said, I love this car...and from what I understand, with the 20v it can potentially be as if not more reliable than my S4 was.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You won't find much for $5k these days.

Figure on $5k-$10k for good solid car. I think the days of finding nice $4k cars are over. Even if you do get one cheap, chances are that you will end up dumping in the same or more money to get it right, as villainS4 points out.

I stand by my "you'll spend $2k to get it right" theory. My advice is to buy the best car that you can afford and then figure in that $2k. In the not so long run you will be glad that you did.

FWIW, Champagne doesn't have any sub $10k ur qs for sale anymore. All they have are the two 3B converted cars, and if they sell them, they will probably ask $20k+.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: There is at least one available here in CO right now. What are you looking for?

Where is there one available? Is it at a lot, or is it a private seller?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: 5k will probably be difficult for one that doesn't need a pretty hefty load of work before being

I understand that any car that is 20 years old is most likely going to need quite alot of money to make it right, but Im looking forward to working on the car, my brother is an engine man and I am a fledgling body man, but I would like a running car just so I know that it at least works. But if you think I am being completely unreasonable in my expectations, please let me know, because I may either have to wait and build up my budget more, or get a loan, or just try and get my brain off of the UR and onto something more affordable. But the UR is pretty much my dream car right now, so if possible, I would like to pick one up.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Would it be better to buy a quattro coupe and drop a 20v turbo engine in?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Would it be better to buy a quattro coupe and drop a 20v turbo engine in?

Good Question! Would it be cheaper? I know that the CGT isn't a quattro and that would kind of suck, but its an idea.

Quick Reply: Audi UR-Quattro