Digital Dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Dash

I'm from across the pond, so excuse me if I get some facts wrong here.....

On the US spec models with the green Digital Dashboard, does the connector pinout on the dash match the same pinout on the red dash used on the later GT?

I found some usefull documentation on the GT dash at http://home.earthlink.net/~groovy_monkey/Audi/Digital_Dash/index.html

Also would anyone know if the Digital Dash used in the MB UR is the same as the one used in the US spec GT?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There was no green digital dash in the US. The pinout is different than the red or orange dashes.

You can convert from the green VF display to the red or orange LCD display by moving the contacts in the connector. You will also need the photo cell used on the LCD dashes if you want the "turn on headlights" indicator to work.

The MB/RR dash is not the same as the Coupe GT dash. I have both (MB/RR and CGT) and there are slight differences. One difference is a jumper (see below) and the other is a different processor. I _think_ the MB/RR dash has a higher redline (where the display flashes), but I haven't confirmed this yet. You can convert the CGT to work with the quattro by installing a jumper or switch right behind where it says "Q C" on the housing. This converts the full fuel capacity from 70 to 90 liters so the computer works properly. The pinout is the same, except for minor differences in the locations of the indicator/warning lights and the fuel consumption circuit.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: There was no green digital dash in the US. The pinout is different than the red or orange dash

Looking at my copy of TFA, it looks like there was only one digital dash listed for the WR engined cars. But I was under the impression that there was an earlier VFD display (green), replaced by an LCD dash (green), which was then replaced by the orange dash in the MB etc.
Curiously enough it also lists the WR dash against the european GT, 80/90 (4000) and the Coupe Quattro (GT with quattro).
I have a copy of the pinout for the US spec GT dash (one of which is going into my 1985 CQ), but does anyone have a copy of the pinout for the early green dash?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: There was no green digital dash in the US. The pinout is different than the red or orange dash

I've just opened a GT dash up, the switch is not present on mine, but the PCB pads are there to allow it to be soldered in. Anyone spot that the displays are driven serially?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think that there were switches on any of them.

There just happens to be a provision for it. If you jumper the two pads with traces going to them on S1, it sets the dash in "quattro" mode.

Yes, the displays will actually work if you swap them around. Doesn't do much good as they only fit one way. BTW, be VERY careful with the LCD panels. Those connections are good only for about three connecting cycles before the plating wears off of the glass and then you are done...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, the LCDs were all red or orange. You could make them any color you want with the right filter.

Personally, I like the VF display the best. It is more robust than the LCD display, and it has the boost display.

I have a copy of the schematic for the green dash, but not in electronic form. Have you tried Phil Payne's site? That is, if it is still there...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: No, the LCDs were all red or orange. You could make them any color you want with the right filt

I've seen the information on Phils site. He has a copy of the service traning manual for the GT dash. I was hoping that there was something similar for the Green dashes. There is a handy section on page 20 that details the pinout for the GT dash. If there is anything similar for the Green dash it would help me out......
I'll have another perussal of his site
Old 10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Look in the '85 ur quattro schematics. The green dash wiring is there.