Maybe I should introduce myself...Since I've posted only maybe 1 or 2 times on this forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe I should introduce myself...Since I've posted only maybe 1 or 2 times on this forum.

My name is Scott and I'm and Audi addict!

I currently own a `82 Euro UrQ, a `91 200 20v, 2000 A4 Avant and a `01 A6 4.2. I've owned in the past 2 5ktq's and 2 4kq's.

I've recently decided to spend a little more time here because I'm spending more of an effort to cosmetically restore my 82 Ur.

I'm certainly guilty of neglecting my Ur, and as the guilt is finally taking over, I'm just now getting around to assembling parts for my cosmetics. My mechanicals are done (except for the stupid humming sound somewhere in the middle rear while driving) I've located a set of coupe doors, hood and trunk lid and will start looking for the ever elusive wings. The body on the car is really not that bad, I have some light rust on the rockers and one little bubble above the right rear wheel. The car is in tact and all original so I'd like to keep it that way... It's a 1982 euro car brought over to the states w/o any federalization, so everything is exactly the way it was delivered to the first owner in 1982. I'm the third owner and have had it since 1996.

Stats...The car is Alpine w/ Alpine Fuchs and Chocolate Leather. All options that the US cars got are fitted to this car and I guess that EVERYTHING was an option in Europe. It's got the heated leather seats/ rear wiper/stereo/sunroof/electric windows and locks/ A/C...looking for restoration info as well as for a few odds and ends like the aux radiator as well.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Scott

when you say Rockers are you talking about new fenders?

And Aux radiator? Are you missing the entire auxiliary radiator or do you want to replace the one you have?

My friend Eric Fluhr has an 82 Quattro here in Austin. Same type of import.

The humming coming from the rear center is likely your rear differential. Is the sound dependent upon whether you're on the power or not? (silent if you're coasting, but hums when on the power)?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Scott

by rockers, i mean the lower spat under the doors. It seems that there is a seam weld at the rear corner of the door that is showing a penny size and nickle sized bubble at both sides of the car.

I think my front frenders (showing the same bubbles) are repairable as there is no other rust showing anywhere on them...just figured it'd be cheaper to replace them with good ones.

I still have the aux radiator (it's still mounted in the car) but it leaks...I've re-routed the hose to feed back to the full sized radiator...I'd like to get a new one if they make them still.

As to the hum...I seems constant and at any speed whether it's on load or coasting. I thouhgt that it may be the center drive shaft bushing. The car came equipped from Germany with 4.11's so if it is the diff I should be able to use the 4kq or Quantum Synchro right?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You want the '84 4kQ rear diff if that's your culprit.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

okay, you might have to grind away and weld onto the unibody to fix the rockers. I had to do that to my car at the front of the door where the sunroof drains are. Dumps right out onto the flat spot.

metal Fenders are going to be REALLY hard to find. There are some availble remakes from Audi but I've heard 1000s each and even then some guys in England said they don't fit well. Crazy. You're best bet is fiberglass or kevlar. There is a guy in Germany making really nice standard urquattro fenders. There is a link to him on my website as well as pictures of his work.

Not sure on the Aux radiator, but I think thats NLA and people are robbing them from 5000s.

The rear diff if its 4.11 can be had from a 1984 4000 or a early 1985 4000 quattro. Constant noise could still be a bearing, but carrier bearing is a very likely culprit. That part again is hard to find! (I sound like a broken record) However, I think someone on the urquattro list found a substitute using a BMW part.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The 80/90 quattros have an aux rad. They are not identical, but I do believe they fit.
I bought a new aux rad from Shokan (can I say that here??) 3 years ago for $300! Don't know if there are any left.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'd heard of the bmw fix for the bearing...I'm lucky to be in Chicago as when I was driving

I'm lucky to be in Chicago as when I was driving
an every day driver 5ktq out of warrenty, Scott Justisson did all my work. I've known him for years and he's a great resource!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Your screen name sounds familiar...I think we may have met 2 years ago at APR!

I was there with Matt McKowen, Jeff Koleman, John Bass and a whole bunch of Chicago folks...I was there driving a 2001 Imola S4 Avant then.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You got it. Nice call. How's Chi-town?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great, however, I don't know if you've heard...It's really hard to find a nice UrQ here! LOL

Quick Reply: Maybe I should introduce myself...Since I've posted only maybe 1 or 2 times on this forum.