Opinions on Euro lights.......Hella or Cibie.....and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Opinions on Euro lights.......Hella or Cibie.....and why?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella or Cibie are the same design i.e. most of the parts interchange.....

The only major diference is that Hella units had a pervision for automatic leveling motor...
And I am not 100% sure but only Ciebie had the flat lenses (which BTW you can change to sloping kind with just a lens swap).

HTH
martim
Old 06-28-2004, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default While they look very similar, they are completely different.

All of the other parts are "close, but no cigar" in terms of compatibility. You can interchange sealing grommets and lenses, but they may not seal well. None of the rest of the parts (reflectors, adjusters, housings, etc.) will interchange.

The Cibies are nice because they have stainless steel clips holding on the lenses, and stainless clips on the adjusters, so they seem to age better. The Hellas use plated steel clamps and adjuster clips. The Hellas' reflectors seem to last a little longer due to a better (thicker?) aluminizing on the reflector. The Cibies have a little less "fluting" so they appear more clear. The early "flat" lens Cibies are nice on the early cars, but the lenses are NLA. (The later sloped Cibie lenses are available and a direct replacement.) The late Hellas (not all of them) can be fitted with the electric beam length adjusters. These are pretty rare.

Right now, if you buy new only the Cibies are available (Valeo brand). Make sure that you get as set of mounting brackets if you get the lights. If you buy used, make sure the lights are complete and have good reflectors. In pictures, the lights should have a "rainbow effect". If they look cloudy, the reflectors are probably bad.

FWIW, if you are interested, I have an excellent set of used Hella lights with the brackets. I am in the Denver area.