An Acura tranny saga...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Acura tranny saga...

First of all, is there an Acura equivalent to Audiworld? I can't seem to find one, but sometimes google isn't good for a search like that.

Anyway, some of you may recall when I posted about how my '03 MDX tranny failed at 57k miles, 7k out of warranty. Somebody here suggested that the dealer would fix it for free, and sure enough, they did, to much initial applause.

Well, not yet.

The first repair (you can see where this is going) took a week, as expected. Brought the car home. Found fluid dripping all over the garage and driveway. Not good.

Brought it back. Diagnosis, seal bad on rear diff. (We had asked them to do the 60k service, after they fixed the tranny, which included changing the diff fluid). So, three days later, they've got that fixed. Oh, and the dealer sends a guy to our house to clean up the drip marks (without me asking). So kudos for that.

Great. Pick up car, drive it back. On the way home, the light starts blinking on the gear selector... manual says that means potential tranny problem!

Call the dealer this morning (Mile High Acura). The service manager drives to our house immediately, drops off a new MDX loaner, and takes our car back to the shop.

So, props to Mile High Acura on the effort and the willingness to do the right thing. But I'm beginning to wonder how long I should keep this car. I asked the dealer for an extended warranty this morning, since the rebuilt tranny only comes with a one year warranty....

Audi content: the S4 is doing great, thanks! But I think it needs a supercharger.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Why yes, yes, there is...

That sounds crazy for the tranny to fail so quickly. I have a '99 TL with 126k on the tranny. It's a tiptronic and has no issues, nor have these been an issue. I'd be puzzled over so much of a hassle. If it's fixed right, I don't think I'd worry about the tranny. However, the fact that it failed at 57k makes me really wonder about the integrity of that vehicle.<ul><li><a href="http://www.acurazine.com/">acurazine.com forum</a></li></ul>
Old 10-05-2006, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry to hear about the trouble, but the service from the dealer sounds excellent!

Now if VAG would just take care of people like that!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, you have to give them credit.

The first day I went in on this, the service manager was being chewed out by an unhappy customer. I waited patiently until that was over before approaching him (I didn't want to talk to anybody else first since it was out of warranty and I was effectively asking for a favor) and I told him that he was a saint for being patient with people like that and let him know that I've had nothing but good service. I don't know if that made a difference, but it didn't seem to hurt..
Old 10-05-2006, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks.

Also, I have found a fair number of people reporting problems with the tranny's on the 03 MDX. Makes me hesitant to buy another Acura.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update: Tranny #3 being installed now.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:21 AM

Best of luck to you.