Altitude effects on turbo, MAF, etc. B6 A4

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: as far as logging goes...

Thanks for the info. I will save it for next time i'm able to do logs.

You said you doubt anything is wrong, but I'm pretty sure pinging means something's not right. And I'm wondering if that will be causing my boost to be lower, which is making my performance worse.

I just can't find the source of the pinging.

I'll look up the plugs.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

I'd bet if he just puts in some F5DP0Rs the pinging will go away.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What if I'm pinging on a cold engine?...

I get the pinging even before my engine has warmed up. I'm doubting the plugs would change that right?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you sure that isnt noise associated with other engine startup functions???

b6 a4s make a lot of other noises....secondary air pump, wierd vibrations for a few secs....could be alot of things i would be less concerned with than if the car were warm.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's pinging. Trust me....

If I floor it in 1st or 2nd, I get the clanky, metallic, rattling sound for a 1/2 second to a second maybe. And I can feel the performance take a bit of a hit at the same time. And it doesn't always do it, but it usually does if I floor it.

Hopefully tomorrow or Thursday I can have them look at it on the VAG.

Anyhow, would new/different spark plugs help if i'm getting pinging on a cold/warm engine? Wouldn't they only really make a difference when the engine is hot?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default generally...and lkewise, that is when i would be the most concerned!

there very well may be another underlying issue there to look at...but in general, i would be the most concerned by symptopms clearly moticed while the car is running "normally."

what year is the car? what service intervals did you service at, and what oil did you/the factory use?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's a 2003...

Bought it with 38k miles. Took it in to the dealership for the 40k service - oil change (full synthetic) spark plugs, air filter, etc.

I'm sure it's just some timing issue with the FX program. Since i get the pinging whether the engine is cold or warm (after driving for 1/2 hour).

Like i said earlier, the tuner emailed garret of GIAC to find out what the problem could be - or if there needs to be some adjustment due to the altitude. I'll let yall know what we hear back.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default FWIW....

i never needed an adjustment for pinging after spark plugs...they are by no means a "fix all" but it cant hurt to try...

the gap on the spark plugs, OEM especially, may be another problem. I had some SERIOUS pinging issues because i had installed a set of improperly gapped plugs (i.e. the gap was too wide and i was getting missfires as a result). now we all know platinums dont wear like coppers do, but if even one was not gapped (or checked at the dealership) properly, that could be the source of the problem too. the factory spec is .032, i gapped my plugs at .028 on coppers to give a little "wiggle room" for their inevitable wear.

as mentioned previously, the f5dp0r is a "non-gap" plug, meaning you dont have to worry about it. I would seriously consider this plug. it has long life, was OEM for the 1995 UrS4, and though a little $$ as far as a spark plug is concernied, will run in your motor flawleesly!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default GIAC runs dual map, 93 and 91 for pump program, except

on the TFSI stuff where you have to choose
Old 04-05-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default right....BUT....

is is listed, and tuned for 91. 93 shows improvement of course, because smaller motors like the 1.8t are largely affected by oct. levels. the 91-93 file IS NOT the same as a dedicated 93 file. I know plenty about GIAC's proprietary programming ideas and how that flexability comes to be. I have been a test car for them and run a couple of beta files. of course, far be it from me to disclose how that works...lol.

now, i can show that the GIAC 91-93 file makes more power and torque than APR's 93 file on the b6 a4 with similar setups...same dyno, same day, 2 cars.

i was by no means bashing GIAC as i am as big a GIAC fan as any that existed...but there is a difference between a backwards to 91 compatable 91-93 file and a dedicated file for each.

Quick Reply: Altitude effects on turbo, MAF, etc. B6 A4