Anyone have any luck getting a speeding ticket reduced to non-moving violation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any luck getting a speeding ticket reduced to non-moving violation?

Got a ticket for 52 in a 40. The lady cop got me with a laser.

The worst part? I had past her about 10 minutes before when I was heading to the store. When returning home, I told myself at the traffic light to take it easy as I approached her spot. Brain (or lack thereof) went into auto pilot mode and I blew by her anyway.

I STFA + looked online and found some good info. I used to live in upstate NY and would routinely just pay lawyers to get tickets reduced. It is cheaper paying the lawyer, court costs and fines than dealing with increased insurance. The last time I called lawyers in CO inquiring about this one of them actual said, "this isn't Chicago!" - referring to corruption.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just went to the specified court date writen on the ticket...

and when I showed up, they automatically offered a plea to an "obstructed windshield". There was no judge, etc. just a room set up with some people that said the "DA had reviewed my case and is offering this plea deal". The fee was about the same, but it was non-moving violation and that was fine with me.

Now, 6-7 months later I got a speeding ticket in the exact same place and did the same thing... showed up on the specified date to see if they would plea it to something else. Same type of set up, just a room with people who would bring up your case - this time I wasn't so lucky and didn't get a plea. I'm assuming that they looked at my record and saw I had a violation in the same spot a few months before.

Now at that time I could either pay the ticket (plus court costs) or schedule an actual court hearing to present my case. I figured I'd lose, so I just paid the ticket.

This was in Douglas County, so the process could be different elsewhere. But I'd show up for that first court date and see what happens, then escalate it to a lawyer if you don't get a plea deal that first time.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yeah, I have gone that route too. Sometimes good things can happen.

Mine is in Boulder County, City of Lafayette.

It is usually worth the "gamble" of not just taking the first deal they offer w/ the mail-in option.

Sometimes it is just a waste of time. Occasionally you end up with a decent story to tell later....

Once I ran into our neighbor -who happened to be a sheriff- got off w/ defensive driving course on that one.

Another time the Judge said something about my "righteous indignation".

Currently trying to find the actual CO law re: speeding to see how it is worded. Cop wrote 440.1 on my ticket. I assume that is the one I am charged w/ breaking.

C.R.S. 42-4-1101(3) ???
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Default i just got a speeding ticket last week in aurora

57 in 40! I wanted to argue i was not going that fast but he showed me the gun. Funny though, my radar detector didn't even beep. Even if it was laser I think it would've beeped.

debating to whether goto court or not. My last speeding ticket was about 15 months ago so i dont fall under that 2year rule.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Laser tickets are pretty hard to beat, can't hurt to call some lawyers in that area

The one most of us refer people doesn't really like to go out of Denver.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't they stay on auto. insurance for 3 years? What is the 2 year rule?

Maybe the number they showed you was from the last ticket issued.?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Default the option to mail in the ticket for automatic 2 point reduction.

this option is only available to those whom have not received a ticket the past 2 years.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Didn't know that. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dont wait until your court date hoping to get a plea deal

Contact the DA's office and request a pre-trial conference. They will check your driving record and if you have a history don't expect much sympathy. If your record is clean or there are other mitigating circumstances they may reduce the penalty to lesser or no points and a fine.

If you wait until your court date and they are too busy you may find your only choice is to plead guilt, not guilty and go to trial in the future, or no contest.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good stuff. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Anyone have any luck getting a speeding ticket reduced to non-moving violation?