control arm issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default control arm issues

My a4 is making a TON of squeeking coming front what I think is the front left control arms. I called a shop and they said to replace two control arms is about $600... but that is a little much for me... especially I since I am young... and poor.

he was saying that each control arm is 200-260 dollars... but that also seemed rather high to me. Anyone know of a shop that I could go to who is reliable (wont rip me off on parts) and moderatly priced? I am in the littleton area, and would like to go to anywhere but a dealer (obviously) or champagne motorsports. The place already called was autoworks colorado.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Autoworks does excellent work... See if you can get ahold of Matt on this forum....

I know he has done this work on his A4. (Even did it him self... thats why Matt is kick **** and I am not) He could tell you the price for parts and give you an idea how much a shop might charge you.

Have you looked at the tie-rods.. The could be suspect too, and would cost less to fix. A new pair of these goes for a little over $100 from ecstuning.com

Just be carful if you have Matt give you advice/help. He'll want to start "barrowing" things off your car for his car... like a window regulator maybe
Old 08-01-2004, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Autoworks does excellent work... See if you can get ahold of Matt on this forum....

I just got the tie rods replaced, which is why i am pretty sure its the control arms

also.. while i am at it... anyone know why i am getting this loud "whirring" noise from one of my right side tires/wheels. its really pissing me off and making me a bit nervous. The guy at big-o said it might be bearings... but im not to trusting of places like that...
Old 08-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Elder Member

Default when does it make the noise? over bumps or when parking/turning

at low speeds? if its over bumps its control arms, low speed turns its tie rod ends. if its TRE's, get the heavy duty set from www.ecs-tuning.com. costs about 100 bucks or so and is a really easy diy install. i did mine a few weeks ago. took care of the squeaking and really tightened up my steering
Old 08-01-2004, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: when does it make the noise? over bumps or when parking/turning

its constant... but mostly (most loudly) over bumps
Old 08-01-2004, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default do you hear it if you're just accelerating from a flat stop?

and by squeeking, you don't mean brake squeeling, right?
Old 08-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Former Vendor

ygm.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: do you hear it if you're just accelerating from a flat stop?

its a squeeking... kinda like jumping on a old bed with worn out springs... i guess...

and its constant... even worse since i got the tie rods fixed... it makes a ton of noise just going over the "slots" in my driveway.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:56 AM
Elder Member

Default try this....

go outside. with the car parked, try pushing and pulling on the top of the tire (fronts). does it wiggle back and forth? if so its the control arms
Old 08-02-2004, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hey, where have you been??? :-)

Quick Reply: control arm issues