does audi 1.8t b6 have many mechnical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does audi 1.8t b6 have many mechnical problem?

my friends said do not buy audi cars cause
you are gonna spend lot of money to fix car...
???? is it true?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Response (LONG)

My girlfriend had an '02 B6 1.8T for about 9 months. She bought it from a used dealer. The car had just come off a lease and was a one owner car. About two weeks after she got it, the low oil pressure light came on. I told her to stop driving it and we had it towed to Prestige. It turns out that the motor had some engine sludge in it that was blocking up the flow of oil. The previous owner either hadn't changed his oil frequently enough or used dino oil. Prestige flushed the motor and charged around $800 to do that. Thankfully the dealer covered that b/c we just got the car.

About a month later her rear passenger window regulator went out. The window wouldn't go up and down and I had to tape it up so it wouldn't keep falling down into the door frame. I bought the part for around $120 and replaced it myself. I think the dealer charges around $350 to replace that.

A couple weeks later her car wouldn't start. I thought "great, something else". It turns out it was just her battery which I replaced for $70.

She told me that her sunroof would open and close by itself and that freaked her out. That's a pretty easy fix though as you just need to clean the sunroof sensor.

A couple weeks later, she was driving down Araphahoe Rd. and had to slam on her brakes at a light. The light turns green, her car will hardly move. She pushes on the gas and it won't go. Great! She had to have two guys push her off the side of the road and they were working hard b/c the car wouldn't move. For some reason the brakes had locked up and wouldn't retract. We had it towed to what I thought was a reputable indy in Parker. The guy thought it was the master cylinder or abs unit that had malfunctioned. He replaced the master cylinder and tested the abs system. All was well with those. He was stumped. 3.5 weeks later!!!!!! he finally figured it out. It was the brake booster. Somehow when she had stomped on the brakes, it had bent a part internal to the brake booster. Our bill -- $1100.

It was at this point that she was ready to get rid of the car It took us 5 months to sell the car privately b/c the market is so horrible. We did not have good luck with the car in the 9 months we had it.

Am I saying you should never pick up an Audi? No! I actually just bought an 01 S4 (one of the most unreliable Audis) a couple of months ago. I have a beater though and like to work on my own cars so if I have a problem I can still get to work and drive the crappy car around while the S4 sits in the garage and waits for me to look at it. Don't buy and Audi unless you are very proficient at fixing your car or have a daily driver to get around or have an extended warranty to fix problems or you don't mind blowing a thousand bucks here and there to fix problems. European cars aren't cheap! Do I think they're worth the hassle b/c of how nice they look and drive? Yep.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Audi's and Mechanical Problems?

Those go hand in hand- but it's pretty much across the entire VAG line of cars. About as much as any other car I would expect. I agree with the above. If you like to work on your own car, are good at it or have a beater you're set.

I haven't had any major issues with my '03 B6 1.8T. Two of the coilpacks went out two weeks ago, and I had a charge air leak. I didn't feel like doing so I took it to APS. $350 total. I could have done for the price of coilpacks, but didn't have the time or the energy.

I love my car though and have any problems dropping money into it- it's worth it. I do expect issues though.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people raise children, others like me, own an Audi.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And for the record, other than a dead battery, my B5 A4 has never left me stranded.

Sure small things wear on it, but you just fix it and move on to another 6months of driving bliss. Well, as much bliss as a 2.8l v6 pig with a tip tranny will provide, that is.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: does audi 1.8t b6 have many mechnical problem?

I wouldn't say there are any typical issues per se, but it is a European car and they always tend to require more maintenance than a domestic or even a Japanese car.

The difference is in the driving experience. I accept the higher costs and more picky maintenance of my German built Audi because it rewards me with great handling and a most enjoyable driving experience.

I think every brand has it's quirks, but I always feel maintenance history is worth the research if you are seriously considering a used car. This does not guarantee a trouble free car, but if it was always properly maintained then the chances of some sort of failure due to neglect or poor maintenance probably will not occur.

I would say if you are willing to accept the higher cost of maintenance, even learn to do some things on your own it will be a great car for you. If you just want to go from point A to point B and not have to worry about maintenance, well I would honestly look at a different brand.

In the end, these are nor Ferrari's so don't think maintenance is outrageous. Find a good indie shop like Autobahn Premier Service, 3Zero3, SCR Performance and a few others slipping my mind. You'll get top notch work and you wont get overcharged or be nickle and dimed on things you don't need done. Just remember, the more fun a car is to drive, the more it costs to maintain.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Sorry to hear. . . (long)

about the troubles you've had with your Audis.

A word of warning for future purchases. If buying used, buy a certified Audi. Why? Audi of America only certifies cars that they think will cost them the least to fix over the period of the warranty.

If the leased car had a history of many repairs under the original warranty it goes to the auction. That's were use car dealers get their vehicles, so buyers beware.

When buying a non-certified vehicle take it to an Audi dealer for an inspection and ask for a copy of the service records, or at the least, ask to look at them. If the dealer won't show you the records, for whatever reason, walk away from the sale - period!

Also, always use Audiworld, Audifans and the rest of the Audi Internet world to help with words of wisdom about buying.

I speak from over 23 years of Audi ownership and history working in the busines.

Enjoy your S4, it's a gret car!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Weren't your coilpacks covered under the recall?

I'm not sure anymore what years were covered.

If they are, then you can get a refund from Audi of America. If they arn't covered by the recall, then you should contact AoA about your problem.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 AM

They'd already been replaced under the recall GO VAG!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Good advice - My personal feeling are the turbor cars have more issues (flame suit on)

than the NA but most feel the seat of the pants performance is worth it.

Quick Reply: does audi 1.8t b6 have many mechnical problem?