does audi 1.8t b6 have many mechnical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Good advice - My personal feeling are the turbor cars have more issues (flame suit on)

This is true to a point, again in my opinion it still boils down to maintenance and responsible ownership. On the 1.8T's you needed to properly warm the engine before really using the turbo and of course properly cool it down if you've been driving hard. All this to really extend the life of the turbo.

Timing belts have been another issue, again a maintenance thing, though on this one I throw the blame at both owners and dealers. The manufacturer stated 90 - 100K depending on the year and periodic checks. The problem is belts weren't always failing but another component like the tensioner which I believe is set to be checked starting around 60K miles.

In the end the safe solution was proactive maintenance or count on the power train warranty covering the costs of a catastrophic failure. For those going the pro active route this increased the cost of ownership because you were now doing the costly timing belt job earlier than recommended and therefore more often.

So yeah, it is fair to say the turbos have more issues, but there are more working parts that require attention.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your car would have more issues if..

A: It didn't sit so much in your garage

B: You didn't drive it like an old mf-er!

hehehe...
Old 05-26-2007, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a 2004 B6 A4 and other than for a dying fuel pump, broken window regulator

and proactivly replacing my Coilpacks i had no issues. Now i will state though that tuning a turbo car requires patience and good support. I have had my share of tuning issues, but i 'think' they are now solved. Between working with Mark @ SCR in Loveland and Randy @ Autobahn they will keep your tuning issues to a minimum.

I am now APR Stage 2+ (K04'd) and the car runs better than ever. It is as smooth as stock with a ton more hp/tq. For those people looking at the Big Injector files for the B6 A4 1.8T's i would almost urge people to do the plain NON BI file and then jump to the K04 file when they have the $$. The BI (1+) file has a boost spike that feels cool, but can get annoying after while.

My K04'd car feels slower than the Big Injector setup because it doesn't have that big boost spike which made it feel fast even know it was slow. The K04 on these small motors really helps it pull thru to redline and gives a very linear power band.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Default You should send the bill. . .

to Audi of America. Of course, they're going to say you should've brought the car back to the dealer where it had them replaced the first time. Lean on them if they refuse to refund your bill.

If they refuse a refund, then tell them that you're going to open a report with NHTSA. That'll get their attention. And if that still doesn't work, then get on http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and file a report. Of course, you could always call 60 Minutes and report your story to them. ;-)

Your's is the first failure of replacement coilpacks that I've heard of. I wonder if they put old ones in your car by mistake?

Good luck!