God I am sick of the horrid car reviews in the Denver Post

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default God I am sick of the horrid car reviews in the Denver Post

I know the guy at the Coloradoan sucks but the guy at the post with it's bigger budget owes its readers some good and detailed writing. This guy was naming his friends and the cars they drove - as if anyone gives a f. Why can't they get someone like Frank Amoroso or Matt to do them.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'cause Bud's been doing it forever!

and they probably don't get alot of complaints.

Most of the time I don't have an issue with what he writes, but sometimes he gets so far off topic it's not even funny. One time he had a Aston Martin DB9 (I think) and he wrote about taking it to lunch in Boulder with his wife and how it was a nice, leasurly afternoon drive. Granted, the car came from a dealer and he only had it for the afternoon, but I sure the hell don't want to read about him taking to lunch with his wife!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's the Aston Martin review...

This is the actual part where he's talking about the car he drove. The rest is just recaping specs, etc, not first hand knowledge:

"Jan and I last Friday noon, after a briefing by sales consultant Jeremy Child, drove away with Jack Terharâ€<sup>TM</sup>s DB9 demonstrator from the Sill-Terhar automotive complex at Broomfield for three or four hours.

We drove to Boulder, where I met briefly with Marine Recruiter Will Smith (no, Iâ€<sup>TM</sup>m not enlisting), before joining Ruth Davis for a short drive to lunch. Itâ€<sup>TM</sup>s true the DB9 is listed as a 2-plus-2 model, but neither Jan nor Ruth could find any way of sitting in the rear seat. Thereâ€<sup>TM</sup>s no legroom, little headroom and the backs of the front seats intrude upon what little space is there. So we parked the coupe and made a quick lunch run in Ruthâ€<sup>TM</sup>s Buick.

Back in the Aston Martin, though, and before returning to Broomfield, Jan and I drove out through the countryside east of Boulder, where the rear-drive DB9 exhibited smooth shifts, quickness and flat-cornering capability. The DB9 remains stable at higher speeds. It will run from 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds and has a top speed of 186 miles per hour."

Ack! He has it for a three or four hours, but ditches for a quick lunch run in a Buick. I'm sorry, but if you only have 3-4 hours with a Aston Martin DB9, YOU DO NOT SCHEDULE LUNCH WHILE YOU HAVE IT! You see how fast you can get to Aspen and back!

Plus, I don't give a rats *** about Jan, Ruth, or the Marine Recruiter.<ul><li><a href="http://www.postnewsads.com/budwells/viewarticles.asp?articleID=210">http://www.postnewsads.com/budwells/viewarticles.asp?articleID=210</a></li></ul>
Old 08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Frank has been busy at Skippy school at Laguna..yes, he just got back
Old 08-29-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Those aren't car reviews...

He describes them from the press material or window sticker. It really is a time for a change.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Default The "reviews" are an embarrassment to the reviewing society...speaking of which

Did you guys read the review of the RS4 in "Road and Track"? It was terrible. The reviewer thought that the wheels where too big and that they should put smallers ones on to cushion the ride. If he wants that he should not be sitting behind the wheel of 420 hp but insted he should be driving my grand parents Caddy Deville.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default bwells@DenverNewspaperAgency.com --- go for it guys!

questionscomments@denvernewspaperagency.com
Old 08-29-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: God I am sick of the horrid car reviews in the Denver Post

Bud's reviews are horrendous, and his answers to readers questions are way off base sometimes. I read the reviews to learn about cars, not his damn social life.

About a year after the 4-door mid-size pickups all made their debuts, he slammed all of them, citing lack of size, power, etc. I sent him a brief email (politely) disagreeing with him, it was short enough he could have printed it, but he didn't even bother to respond.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Man, that is bad

It looks like the only thing one could glean from the article is that the back seat is small and a couple (two) specs on performance. I don't get the paper, but if I read a car review article on something interesting like a DB9 I would want every little detail on the car! For instance, since he has managed to take note of the seats he might as well thrown out material, heated/vented, supportive, adjustments, memory and then proceeded to give information on the rest of the car like visibility, ride, handling, ergenomics... man I would KILL for that job! That must be the car nut dream job. Forget being a ESPN anchor, I want to write about cars!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He needs to do some other job...