Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, keep me posted...
Old 12-02-2004, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Always check service records before you buy a used car...

Especially a turbo like an S4!!! It's especially easy when buying a car from a dealer.

You really want to know about something like the previous owner never bringing the car in for scheduled maintenance, and the dealer having to "catch it up". Even if it is certified (a good thing you have that if you have a *real* B5 S4 problem, i.e. blown turbos or failed MAF).

I've bought two Audis at Prestige and had all of their service there. No problems, and if you are nice and ask for an Audi loaner when you make your appointment I've usually gotten one. I also recommend Tyler and Ernie the RS6 master tech rocks.

Congrats on the S4, nice cars.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Its not the "real" problems that are the concern...

They fixed everything else that was a problem on the car with no questions and no charges. Its the oil changes and other preventative maintenance that's the problem.

I did have the record checked extensively....I explained how many miles would be put on the car per year and I was assured everything would be covered as it should be the factory warranty. It was not glossed over before buying the car. This is why I'm so upset. The salesman went back to speak to the service manager multiple times on my behalf.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Always get a printout of the service record...

before buying it. That way they can't later tell you that "oh yeah, the 40k has already been done and we just forgot to enter it in Audi's service system" or "that silly sales guy didn't know what he was talking about."

If you have hardcopy, it's tough to refute. Not sure how they missed a 40K service in their exhaustive search, if you explicitly asked them to do this. If that's the case, it should be an easy win for you.

Anyhow, was just saying you should always try to get service records (receipts or dealer service printouts) for used cars aside from those you intend to use as beaters.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Well I hope Prestige can do the same for me....

It doesn't surprise me that the sales person was not aware of the maintenance, but grabbing a copy of the service record can be super helpfull. Alot of times the dealership has their hands tied on some warantee items, this could just be a misunderstanding.
I know TANMAN is helping you out, let me know if you need a hand.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've bought cars before....

And I've never used a warranty for anything. I've always done my own work. I was so happy to get away from necessary wrenching that I figured I asked all the questions I needed to. I really feel at this point Pretige Audi cpo sales should make this right as they left out this important fact, and I asked every question I could think of while buying the car.

If you've looked at the Audi computer system, they have codes for all the service....it doesn't say 40k service next to the date...it says something more like A823-SDJE or whatever. So if you're buying a car from an Audi dealership like me and you want to avoid all this, ask for clarification for those codes.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If this is not resolved....

I'll play the Audi World card...I'll let them know I've kept everyone posted on the happenings....and there is no slander, just frustration.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Get them to lookup the codes

I had them print out the service records and look up all of the codes. They were more than happy to, at least my Prestige sales guy was.

I'm just **** about turbo charged engines, especially since B5 S4's don't exactly sell for cheap with the Audi extended warranty.

This always is a good idea since the service records clearly indicate if you might be looking at a lemon with lots of warranty work or an incident that didn't register on CARFAX. I'm not restating this for your benefit since you know alot about cars, but for any Audi owner wannabees lurking the forum.

If you are an ACNA member that might also have some pull in settling the dispute. I don't know how much pull an AW sidebar would have, since they probably have a few folks on this forum.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes I agree

With getting them to look up the codes..

I've been very happy with this car thus far and figured with the first of next year I would get my Audi club membership...I'm in the midst of parting out and selling my talon now, so funds are spread thin.

However, if the treatment from an Audi dealership is not above what I would expect from say, a Mitsubishi dealership....is Audi a company I really want to stick with in the future? Obviously having the majority of the marketshare for luxury, AWD, fun vehicles is great....especially in a state where it snows....maybe I just have bad luck and should chalk it up to that. But I still think the dealership should make it right. I've been in sales before, I certainly would have it taken care of.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Talked to Tyler...

He checked it out. Looks like the previous owner was close to the end of waranty and had the 40k service done. He said you still have a free service coming to you and that the main waranty ends at 50k. Give him a call over there, he should be able to clarify it further than I have here. According to him they should still service your car now under waranty.

Quick Reply: HUGE Problem with Prestige Audi on Colfax in Lakewood, CO