I'm driving to Las Vegas this weekend to pick up a dog, and am wondering when the best time...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm driving to Las Vegas this weekend to pick up a dog, and am wondering when the best time...

to leave would be. I could leave Thurs after noon or Friday early AM but am not sure which one would be best to miss most of the mountain traffic on I-70.

It's about a 12hr drive, so if I left Thurs, I'd probably stay the night in SLC and then continue on to LV on Friday, but then I'd have to have an additional night in a hotel than I anticipated.

The biggest issue here is that I don't drive I-70 ever, but I always hear on the news about what seems like constant problems driving that route, so I just want to leave at the best time possible. Thought maybe some of you familiar with the peak times could help!

I'm planning on staying the weekend, returning either Monday or Tuesday.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Leave Friday at around 6am. You can drive straight through and be in daylight the whole time.

No real traffic problems on I-70 at that time, unless there is a bad accident. But that isn't something you can predict.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'm driving to Las Vegas this weekend to pick up a dog, and am wondering when the best time...

Hit the road bright and early Friday, get a good night sleep. If you can get to I-70 and 470 by 6am or near then it will be smooth sailing.

You should be able to get to Vegas in 10.5 - 11 hours driving conservatively. Meaning, staying under 10mph over the speed limit.

It will get really hot out there in the afternoon so hitting the road early will be good for the car and you. Of course the draw back, you will get into Vegas during their rush hour which is a nightmare sometimes.

IN my experience there is no good time to drive on I-15 through Vegas.

With that, everyone has a different experience. Mine is that I-70 from Colorado/Utah border to I-15 is not heavily patrolled, but be smart about it.

I-15 on the other hand is always heavily patrolled when I travel on it.

Not sure what car you are taking, if it is the Audi, have fun in the canyon in Arizona, basically 35 miles of kickass fun. Just watch the blind curves for the boneheads that couldn't hack it and flip their cars.

Also, once you hit Mesquite you are like an hour or so from Vegas, and if it is the afternoon by that point it might be really freaking hot so just take it easy. Plus the cops will be waiting for you about midway to Vegas from Mesquite.

Though if they are smart, because Vegas is hurting bad right now, they wont be pulling anyone over.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL, the whole time I was typing...you said the same thing. :)

I am so slow.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default so I'd get into Thanks! That was VERY helpful - I was planning on leaving at around 5am if I left..

on Friday, so I could get to town before the evening. I hate trying to figure out where I'm going in a strange town once it gets dark.

I will be taking the puppy-mobile especially since I'm going to be driving with a dog, then picking up another one. I might have another trainer from CO going with me, so we'll need the room. If it's just me, I could probably swing the TT, but I would hate to have the dogs get sick in the car from twisty mountains!

Hmmm... that brings up a good question. It would probably be easier if I took the TT..... If the other trainer doesn't go, then maybe I'll just leave my kiddos at home and then only have to worry about bringing one dog back with me...

I'll probably end up bringing the van, but gas would be a hell of a lot better in the TT!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's ok - I love detail! ;o)
Old 07-13-2008, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Awesome - thanks! What time does typical "going to work" traffic start on I-70..

W-bound, if at all? I really have no idea what the traffic is like at all, so I just want to be sure to try to miss the majority of traffic just for the sake of my nerves haha!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you might want to watch your speed thru that canyon in Arizona..

I drive that route several times a year and this may is the only time I have been busted speeding, and it was in that canyon...95 in a 55 OUCH !
Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: you might want to watch your speed thru that canyon in Arizona..

Yikes! I know I have seen them before and after the canyon but in the canyon that's insane.

As always, YMMV I know everyone's experience is a little different.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think you'll see any traffic jam at all. Only bad traffic through there is the semis.

Quick Reply: I'm driving to Las Vegas this weekend to pick up a dog, and am wondering when the best time...