Lawers..... What is the current law regarding open containers in Colorado?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lawers..... What is the current law regarding open containers in Colorado?

I have researched and found that Colorado does not have a law stating that the passengers of a vehicle are not allowed to have an open container. I aways have a "dd" when we go out but was curious about the open container law so I dont get my driver (who is not drinking) in trouble? Please only state facts, so you people who are not 100% sure dont feed me bullshizza.
Forgive me, you would figure for being 23 years old I should know this by now?<ul><li><a href="https://secure2.convio.net/madd/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr001=k42hk4uct1.app7a&amp;i d=173">https://secure2.convio.net/madd/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr001=k42hk4uct1.app7a&amp;i d=173</a</li></ul>
Old 04-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've been wondering the same thing.

I've been told by a couple differenct sources that in CO it's alright to have an open container the the car while driving as long as the driver isn't legally drunk. I was highly skeptical of this when I heard it the first time, but when a second person told me the same thing I started to wonder. Is it true?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default a related question....

Is it illegal to have an *opened* container anywhere in the car? Such as: a bottle of wine in the trunk (corked, of course), a bottle of (insert expensive liquor here) anywhere in the car that has had the seal broken?

Seems somewhat unreasonable - Once you open something, even if it is a $50 bottle of scotch or tequila it has to stay in your house forever?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just read that but cant find link....

If you are the only one in the car then it must not be in a passenger occupied area. In other words it just has to be in the trunk. Cant be in the back seat or glove box. It also states that in a car without a trunk it must be behind a vertical seat. If in a truck, behind the seat. In a Avant, far back area behind vertical rear seat. Where passengers are not allowed to ride.

However, if the open container law is ture, then if you had a passenger of age then you can have the container where ever until they get out.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ot: Sorry about Friday Pat. I had dinner reservations and missed your call

I was going to call you up this weekend but was too busy. U wanna meet up this week sometime?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My understanding

It all depends on where you are. Make sure to check various city and county laws as it will vary from one to another. As Pat stated below, I believe that on state hwy's (since there IS no state law) that if YOU are driving, and YOU have an open container, as long as you're not over the .05 limit, they can't touch you. Obviously, the same will hold true for a passenger (only no one will care if you're 3 sheets to the wind..)

This would apply everywhere, but as I stated above, I believe the situation changes once you're on a county, or city street (ie the county or city open container rules then apply, and they can be different in each locality)

YMMV
Rian
Old 04-18-2005, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Also remember...

No warrent = no search.

Your car is kind of like your house, rolling down the street. They must provide a warrent to seach your private property (unless of course they claim "reasonable cause")
Old 04-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default No worries.

I'll be in your neighborhood tonight. Think you and Alex could hook up? I have plans from 6:00 to 8:00 or so. Before or after that?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

too bad Tanman is in training - he would know
Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default that includes any container, soft drinks, water etc, technically

I remember either a TV or news article discussing this not too long ago.

Quick Reply: Lawers..... What is the current law regarding open containers in Colorado?