Possibly moving to CO. Looking for some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly moving to CO. Looking for some insight.

I am mostly on the Original S4/S6 Forum. I am currently living in Norfolk, VA while I am in the Navy. But I am getting out soon and trying to decide what to do. I am from Vermont and may just go back there, but I am also debating going to the Colorado Mountain College in Leadville.

I have read some about the area and looked at it on googe earth. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the area. Anyone been to Leadville or maybe live there? What's the town like? It looks quite small. What is there for apartments? Anyone skied at Cooper Mountain? Anyone do any backcountry skiing in the local area? Anyone been to the school or know anything about it?

Just looking for any insight or opinions on the area?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's a lot of open-ended questions. Feel free to email me if you want to talk.

Plenty of guys here should be able to help you with all that info.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Colorado is a great place to live....

I too am from Vermont (Burlington) and Colorado has a lot to offer and the weather is a lot better. I'm not that familiar with Leadville, but I know it's the highest city in the US or something like that.

If your serious about moving to Colorado...i'd suggest a visit to see if it's what you're interested in.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nobody here skis.

Kidding. The town is pretty small and fairly remote. If you like that uber remote feeling, leadville is a good place. I prefer Denver myself. A lot more opportunity for work, better weather, and only an hour or so drive to the Frisco area (weather and traffic dependent). I'm from MN, and must say I love the sun and warm winters down here in Denver.

Skiing is great here. Google "Colorado Ski Pass" and check out Winter Park's "Rocky Mountain Pass." Both are multi mountain season passes that offer much better value than a single mountain season pass.

I know a few people that live in the Frisco Dillon area and housing can be pricey depending on your taste. You never really stated your price range, what you do for work, or what your style is..... so pretty tough to give you any insight.

Considering this economy, you may be hard pressed to find descent work in Leadville.

Congrats on getting out of the Navy. Smoke a bud and grow a beard to celebrate.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check out some of CMC's other campuses, they have them all over the mountains

I have a few friends from both the Steamboat and the Glenwood Campus, they liked them both.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Didn't think so... ; )

Yeah, the only reason I have Leadville in mind is becuase that is the Campus for the Colorado Mountain School's Ski Area Operations program. Actually that is the only reason I have CO in mind right now. VT is home for me for sure. So I am trying to decide if I want to do that or just go back to work in the ski industry.

I am 28, very active, ski, bike, run, climb, no TV... Before the Navy I worked in the ski industry. 3 Years at Stowe in VT and 2 before that at Wachusett in MA. I love it and can't wait to get back to it.

I know the school has housing but I have lived in barracks for the last few years and really don't want to live in a dorm. But apartments look a bit scarce in Leadville. Maybe I could find a house to share.

Thanks for the tip on the ski passes and for the congrats!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah I am really only interested in the Mountain Ops program and from what the website says,

it's only available in Leadville...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM

Hey I'm from Burlington too. Well I lived there when I was in the womb....
Old 02-17-2009, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dude.

If you come here, you won't want to go back east

Maybe consider commuting from Frisco? It's a super fun town and just big enough you won't go crazy.

I'm the same age as you, in the ANG, and without TV as well. This state was made for people like us. 5 hours to Moab, 9, hours to Jackson Hole, 8 hours to Salt Lake City, and there are a dozen major ski resorts with a 1.5 hours of Denver.

Let me know if you ever venture out here. I work from home with a flexible schedule, so you're welcomed to crash on my floor if you want someone to show you around a bit.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks man.

That's what I hear. I know a lot of people that have moved out there and stayed. I also know many that have come back. I have driven through CO many times, never skied there though. I love the state, it is beautiful and adventure is unlimited. So staying may be a possibility. Maybe I'll take you up on your offer it I get out there this summer. I am so undecided right now. I am really not a school person but it would be free, so you can't beat that. I'll read up on Frisco.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Possibly moving to CO. Looking for some insight.