Possibly moving to CO. Looking for some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM
DOC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm a CO native, never lived for long below 5300 feet, currently live at 7500 feet, and can't

imagine living at 10,430 feet for any length of time. You'll want to think hard about living in that harsh environment, and the harsh is not just in the altitude and climate. There are a lot of great places to live in the CO mountains but, imho, Leadville with its mining heritage (and all that comes with that) and history of big economic cycles is not one of them. You come from a green, heavily treed world; Leadville will be largely brown, white and rocky. Even your UrS car is going to suffer a bit at that altitude. Just my $0.02.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Well I grew up back east as a kid and in the Air Force -and moved to CA when I graduated College.

I live here now - need I say more. It's great
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd...you won't want to go back.

Stowe is a great mountain. I've skied there far more than any other place on earth. My father was Stowe ski patrol for 35 years.

It doesn't even compare to the worst ski resorts in Colorado in my opinion.

When I moved out to Colorado and my friends from back east started visiting...they all moved out here.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:08 PM

Default We moved out from VA Beach, two years ago to Salt Lake City. It has been great living here

There are great schools, and tons of outdoor activities. Our friends from Va beach, moved out here also after retiring from the Navy. I am sure that they would be glad to talk to you also, about the move. So skip Colorado and come to Utah.

Thanks, Clark
cdavisfam4@aol.com
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went to college in Vermont

It really is a uniquely beautiful place, and I can completely understand your love for it. The foliage, the rustic feel, the character of the people, and the uniquely varied geological formations are all things you may miss.

Colorado is very different, but also very appealing. Not as green, not as quaint, and not as agrarian. However, the scale of the mountains and the quality of the snow will simply make you feel like Vermont skiing is an utter joke. Even Killington seems puny.

The people here are much more like you describe yourself, as well. Colorado is the least obese state in the union for a reason. You'll see streams of bikers heading up 14,000 foot mountains. It's quite impressive.

Like some of the other writers, I would also recommend you avoid living in Leadville, it is just too high up for me. Living a couple thousand feet lower can make all the difference.

In any case, you will miss Vermont, but you might find a new love in Colorado. Good luck in your decision!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just what we need, another UrS around, Ugh. :-)))). Anyway, yeah, Leadville is isolated,

but you will be in the back country. Cooper is great, and my fav local area is Copper, which is really close as well.

Then there is real skiing which doesn't happen in a ski area. Leadville is surrounded by that.

I live back east for a few years, and really, you won't want to go back.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:35 AM

I work for a company based in Burlington but live in Denver...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 AM

Default That's pretty cool. I would say that is pretty rare.

Which company?
How often do you get to travel back?

I try to only visit Vermont in June, July, or August. LOL
Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That is a very valid point. One of my life long hesitations to living out there is the

lack of "green mountains". But this is just for school. Two years at most. So I don't know, maybe it'd be a good adventure. Thanks for your 2 cents.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeeeeah I don't know about Utah. I have travled there many times and it just has not appealed to me.

I am jsut looking at CO for this industry specific school anyway. Where do you live in UT? I did a good deal of mountain biking in Moab a few years back. That was a blast.

Quick Reply: Possibly moving to CO. Looking for some insight.