Question concerning Colorado emissions requirements, modifications, and inspections

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question concerning Colorado emissions requirements, modifications, and inspections

I have about 8 months till I am out of the military and I will be moving to Colorado afterward. Because I am headed off on a ship from December till June I am going to leave my car at a relatives house in Colorado, and my registration (CA) is going to expire while I am gone. So my plan is to register the car when I get there this November.

How tough are the emission requirements in Colorado? Do they do a visual inspection of things under the hood to make sure that there are no modifications? Can they fail you on mods alone without testing you? Has anyone with similar mods (stage 3, etc) found a shop that will "pass" you? How often do you have to go in for emissions testing?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default http://www.aircarecolorado.com/ has all your answers.

In a nutshell, emissions aren't that bad. You have to do it every 2 years. The url contains locations of testing sites. Be sure to get in the line for AWD vehicles, if you're quattro.

Really, the only thing I've heard that they'll fail you on visually is if you don't have a gas cap or if you have a CEL on. I've seen/smelled plenty of vehicles that probably should've failed but apparently passed.

Also, as an out of stater, the DMV will require you to have a VIN verification done. The Emissions place will charge you. The Adams County DMV will do it for free, last I checked.

Good Luck and stay safe out at sea. Watch out for pirates! ARRRRRRRR<ul><li><a href="http://www.aircarecolorado.com/">http://www.aircarecolorado.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I know you don't have as many mods as me and I passed:)

They check for the basics, cat, leaky AC system, carbon canister purge rates, O2 sensors, etc. You're OBD should be functioning, but currently they can't fail you if the CEL is on, it's just a warning.

Also, if you have low profile tires, put your stockers back on as they will not test the car. I tried, argued, bitched, cried at multiple stations and they would not budge. Something about a car wrecking on the dyno due to the skinny tires hitting the dyno restraints.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never had any complaints about my 235/35/19's at 2 stations!?

And haven't had any wheels scratched up.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When were you last in?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My CEL was on, VAG-COM was reporting O2 sensor problems, bad cat converter....

...a recurring problem before I went for testing. I cleared the faults using VAG-COM while sitting in the line at the checking station. Passed with 0 problems....don't know if clearing all faults helped that?

They never looked under the hood.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

End of August, so ~6 weeks ago
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cool, glad you got in!

I had to convince them two years ago the car would be fine, they made me sign a waiver against damage adn tested it. This time around they said there are no waivers, no acceptions. Bitches.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Default are you running a stock cat.

The APR cat is about the size of a soda can maybe, I just wonder mainly about that.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

emissions, we ain't got no emissions...in MN

Quick Reply: Question concerning Colorado emissions requirements, modifications, and inspections